From:
James Doubravsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:24:38 -0600

   My wife entered these in the Dolores County Fair here in Colorado and won
three ribbons with each one. The beauty of it is, that these are simple
recieps and GF.

   Pie Pastry

   1 1/2 cup sifted GF flour *
     1/2 cup soy flour
   2 teaspoons Xanthan gum
   1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
   2/3 cup Crisco or other shortening
   5-7 tablespoons COLD water (I use 7)

   Sift flours, xanthan and salt; cut in shortening until likeness of cornmeal;
sprinkle in water and mix with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough
in half, rolling each half between sheets of wax paper until dough is about
the thickness of 1/8 inch. Place into pie plate, fill with favorite GF
filling (fresh currants are not that easy to find) and bake as directed.
   * GF flour   6 parts rice flour
                2 parts potato starch flour
                1 part tapioca starch flour

    Fresh Black Currant Filling

    3 Cups fresh Currants (heaping), crush 1/2 cup.
    Mix the crushed berries with 1 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons of
quick-cooking tapioca and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until bubbly;
cook 2 minutes more. Add     remanining whole berries, stir in 1/2 to 1
teaspoon of grated orange peel and     1/2-2/3 cup of broken walnuts. Fill
pastry with the filling and dot with 2     tablespoons of butter, cover with
top pastry making slits for steam to escape. Bake     at 400 for about 35
minutes.

   My wife was more pleased with the crust of this pie than anythintg else.
It was the first crust that she has found that was simple to make and had a
good taste and texture.

   Coffee Cake ( we have this quite often)

   1/4 cup salad oil ( I use olive oil )
   1 beaten egg
   1/2 cup milk
   1 1/2 cup GF flour* plus 1 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan
   3/4 cup sugar
   2 teaspoon baking powder
   dash of salt

   Combine salad oil, egg, and milk. Sift dry ingredients and add, mixing
will. Pour into greased 9x9x2 inch pan. Sprinkle with Spicy Topping* and
bake at 375 for about 25 minutes.

    * Spicy Topping
      Combine 1/2 cup GF brown sugar, 2 tablespoons GF flour, 2 teaspoon
ground GF cinnamon , 2 tablespoon melted butter, 3/4 cup broken nuts ( your
choice ).

   This is best fresh, however if any of it does make it through the first
day, it never makes it through the second.
                               From Betty's Kitchen

James  Doubravsky  Cahone, CO.