From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:19:05 +0000

Original Post:
I contacted the manufacturer of a dental polishing compound (used by a
potential dentist for teeth-cleaning procedure)  which stated that the
flavors, i.e., mint, in its polishing compound  contained an alcohol but
could not comment whether this alcohol was  gluten-free since such info. was
  proprietary. Also, the manufacturer added that the  product only contained
  less than 1 percent of this alcohol as if for that  reason it should not
be a  concern. Does anyone have any knowledge in this  industry to know what
types  of alcohols are normally used in the manufacturer of  dental
products?
Product info.:  Prophylaxis paste with fluoride - NUPRO Supreme Disposable
Prophy Pack.  Manufactured by Dentsply Preventive Care.  1-800-989-8826

While waiting for responses, I continued to do some research- asking my
sister who is a hygenist as well as looking up the material safety data
sheet on the product above.  My sister says that a teeth cleaning can be
done without polishing or the doctor can use plain pumice;  However, she
didn't know what was in the pumice.  The MSDS cited irritation of eyes and
skin and no ingestion problems.  Other details about appearance and odor was
"various colors and flavors".

Here are the responses:

1) I am sorry that I do not know the answer to your question, but I thought
you might like to know that my dental office stopped polishing teeth based
on new research that suggests that these products are too abrasive and that
they actually remove enamel. Studies have concluded that brushing works as a
polisher anyway. If you can't get an answer, you might want to consider
requesting no polishing. At least I no longer have to worry about it.

2)  Ask your dentist to use plain pumice with no flavors and then you don't
have to worry.

3) Alcohol is a product of distillation and they have determined that gluten
is not transferred. Most likely it does not contain gluten.

4) Many of us react to this product.

P.S.  I was also researching another product my potential dentist wanted to
use for which she gave me a name (only Acclean) but not the complete product
info.;  I have to confirm with her the info. I researched on the product.
Based on the MSDS, it is advisable to research any dental product that the
dentist requests to use, esp. when ingestion is possible.  The MSDS listed
the following with ingestion:  Nausea, vomiting, hypersalivation, abdominal
pain, diarrhea, convulsions, cardiac arrhytmias, coma.  Dental fluorosis,
skeletal fluorosis, or kidney damage may occur.
This is the product MSDS info. which I have sent my potential dentist in an
e-mail to confirm:
Acclean Dual Fluoride Rinse Kit
Product Use:  A water-free anti-caries preparation....

Has one of the new viruses infected your computer?  Find out with a FREE
online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!