From:
Erin Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:56:22 CST

Hi everyone,
Here's the summary of the 2 questions I posted awhile ago regarding
decaf. coffee and any advice for a Celiac Mom-to-be.  I've removed
any identifying information from the messages I received.
*****************
*Advise re pregnancy*

Hi Erin - in my unprofessionl opinion, be sure to keep up your
calcium and vitamin intake, eat healthy GF, and from what I have
read, do not feed that baby wheat cereal until it is past 2 yrs!
Longer if possible.  Basically, anyone who eats in my home eats GF -
my hubby buys his crackers and bagels sometimes, and has his cereal
for breakfast, but that about covers the gluten in this house!  No
coffee, you can do it kiddo, and after awhile, if you are lucky,
you'll never do it again!~ I'm a coca cola nut, myself, from whence
the caffein!  Good luck - be well, enjoy the baby!

HI CONGRATULATIONS. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE AT LEAST ENOUGH FOLIC ACID IN
ADDITION TO A BALANCED DIET. WITH OUR KIDS (my partner) TOOK BETWEEN
1 TO 5 MG A DAY.

ALSO I SUGGEST RASPBERRY LEAVES TEA, ALSO REFERRED TO US MOTHER TEA.
THE TEA WILL PREPARE FOR MORE CALCIUM ABSORBTION AND ALSO FOR GOOD
ROLLING CONTACTION DURING LABOUR.

Congratulations!  I just want to respond to your post because I have
a one year old boy and I remained gluten free for my entire
pregnancy, except for those little mishaps at restaurants, etc....  I
was diagnosed two years ago with CD and was concerned about getting
pregnant because I thought it would affect my baby.  I took lots of
calcium (Oscal 500 or Citracal) and lots of iron (Mission F.P.).
Anemia was a problem before my pregnancy and got worse during the
last part, but baby was born perfectly healthy.  We are now talking
about going for baby number two.

Good luck!  This is an exciting time.  Don't worry about the baby and
incidental gluten. The body has an amazing ability to take care of
itself.

*************
Decaf. Coffee

I hope you find a decaf coffee you like.  I bought whole bean decaf
coffee from places like Starbucks or other gourmet coffee places and
ground fresh decaf.  I never had a problem with any whole bean
coffee.  Just watch out for that instant stuff!

What is this about decaf. coffee??  I must have missed this one.
Who says it has gluten?   Good Lord not coffee:)  Did they say reg.
coffee (unflavored) has gluten in it to?

You can buy decaf that has been decaffinated using the swiss water
process compared to the stuff that has been decaffinated by the same
chemical that they use to embomb dead people.  I remember seeing a
show on that a few years ago, and from then on I would only buy
decaf coffee that says it only uses water to decaffinate!  Maybe
thats what they mean.

Is coffee really that important in your diet?

Hey!  I didn't know about de-caf coffee having gluten!!!  Scary!
What about Maxwell House Lite? Do you know if it's safe?

All I know is that there are 3 diffeent prevalent ways that caffeine
is removed from coffee.

One is acid used by the major commercial brands (Folders, Maryland
Club, etc.)

Then there is the "natural water" method which is how the
expresso/capuccino that I drink is done.

The third one I forget.  When I read the article I didn't know about
gluten....

So, first question would be which method was used?

Is nothing sacred?  Well, is nothing UnComplicated?????????/

I live in Canada and sometimes drink President's Choice water
processed decaf. It agrees with me better than the other decaf
coffess because it is processed with water instead of chemicals. You
can buy President's Choice products in any Loblaws store.

I have been assured by Folgers that their naturallly decaffeinated
coffee is indeed GF.  From what I understand the ones to watch out
for are the ones that use a chemical based product to remove the
caffeine , as opposed to the water that the "naturally decaffeinated
" ones use.  I am not sure what brands you can get in Canada but
maybe this info will narrow down the possibilities so you don't have
to waste time calling so many.  Hope this helps.

(this is Erin, again..)

I forgot to save the message that was posted by one of the listowners
clarifying Bette Hagman's point about decaf.  My understanding is --
please correct me if I've gotten this wrong -- that the
decaffeinating process (other than water-processing) uses chemicals
which can leave a residue in the coffee which can sometimes bother
celiacs, but it's unclear if the reaction is due to gluten or not.
But celiacs don't appear to be bothered by the *water-processed*
decaf.

Thanks for the info everyone!
Erin
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada