From:
Carol Fenster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Fenster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:25:27 -0600

Hello Everyone

I'm responding to yesterday's query about whether malt flavorings are safe.

In my book, Gluten-Free 101, on page 31 I refer to "flavorings and extracts"
such as vanilla being safe for the gluten-free diet because the gluten
peptides do not survive the distillation process.

However, I NEVER recommend malt flavoring for the gluten-free diet. In fact,
in that same chapter on the preceding two pages I recommend AVOIDING malt
flavoring in beverages (such as Ovaltine) cereal, malt vinegar, and any
other food that contains malt flavoring, which is usually made from barley.

Thanks,

Carol Fenster, Ph.D.

Savory Palate. Inc.; 800.741.5418.

8174 S. Holly, #404, Centennial, CO  80122

Award-winning cookbooks and cooking consultation for food sensitivies

Subscribe to FREE e-newsletter, Carol's Culinary Cues, at
www.CarolFenster.com