From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:27:20 EDT

Thanks to all of you wonderful people who stopped me from making another
baking mistake by using potato flour instead of potato starch flour.
It was unanimous that the two are not interchangeable.  That potato flour
tastes like instant mashed potatoes and become very thick and heavy in
baking mixes.  Potato starch is like fine corn starch in texture and
bakes up very well.  The two, I was told, have a completely different
taste and texture in baked goods.  Substituting potato flour would lead
to baking disaster if one could get the batter out of the bowl.  (sounds
like it would make great glue in the art room).  It was relayed that Tapioca
flour would be a better substitute.

Again, thanks to all who responded.  I am going to get a few cookbooks.
In the past, before my GF days, I would throw in a bit of this and a bit
of that.  That does not work so well for baked goods.

Carol in NJ