From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 12:23:13 -0800

I'm a nurse.  I was so ill with GI issues from October through January, I
lost my former job as a recovery room nurse which I dearly loved.  But
I've managed to get another position elsewhere.  I can't tolerate any
grains, starches or sugars & have multiple food allergies (soy, milk,
eggs, beans, nuts, etc).  Two of my sons are also dairy & gluten
intolerant.  I must prepare every morsel that enters our mouths & am on
the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  I now work in a busy family practice
clinic.  It's a very "foodsy" group frequently having luncheons.  Of
course, I never participate & always have my own simple whole foods.
People often ask questions.  They want to know why I won't even "taste"
the lasagna, fried rice, egg rolls, pizza, etc.  I'm glad to answer as
simply & clearly as I can hoping to further the message that celiac
disease is NOT a rare disease & perhaps reach out & find a few converts!
Ha ha!

        I work four 10 hour days a week.  On weekends & my day off
(Wednesday or Thursday), I prepare most of my family's meals for the
coming few days.  I've learned to cook poultry, fish & meats in quantity
& vary the menus with sauces & side dishes that are simple & quick.  It
was hard at first, but now I've got it down to a system that's not so
time consuming.  I don't have diarrhea often, but do suffer from
dramatic blood sugar drops if I'm not careful.  I have found that high
protein breakfast & lunch with well spaced snacks is the best insurance
against blood sugar crashes throughout the day.  For breakfast I have
bacon, liver & apple sauce or left over meat from the night before.  In
mid morning I have a whole apple. For lunch I always have a very large
serving of fish, meat or chicken.(my favorite lunch is two chicken
thighs & a green veggie on the side.) If I start to feel weak in the
afternoon, I go for another whole fruit such as an orange.  Often by
dinner time I'm satisfied & well enough fed that my dinners can be light
including fruits, veggies & a smaller serving of protein.  (Yes, I do
get sick of meat, meat, meat!) My system works because I work it.  It's
hard & takes effort & discipline, but it's worth it.  I make mistakes
here & there, but pick myself up & try to do better the next day and I
usually succeed.  Oh yea, I forgot to tell you another thing I do that
really, REALLY helps me get through each & every work day.  I make sure
I drink at least two quarts of fluid by the end of each work day.
That's about 2 glasses with each meal & a 24 ounce water bottle sipped
during the day.  For some reason this really helps keep my energy level
up.  I totally know how devastating diarrhea can be.  One day I had the
runs all day.  By the time I got home that night, I was so exhausted, I
could hardly move.  I hadn't taken the time to replace the lost fluid
like I should have.  I probably needed another quart that day.  ~
Valerie in Tacoma