From:
David Scheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:31:15 -0500

To search Celiac archives via the web:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html

My summary on supplements:

Two or three people recommended Twinlab's Tri Boron plus, containing
calcium (1 g), magnesium (500 mg) , boron (3 mg), vitamin D-3,
manganese, copper, zinc, and betaine HCL in capsule form.  It's
inexpensive - vitacost.com was recommended in the replies to my
postings, has on the order of 40% discounts, and allows a free consult
with an M.D. on staff concerning their products.  My brother who sells
supplements also recommended this product. The vitacost web site gives
exact ingredients and cost.  (Note: I've heard from different sources
that this ratio of calcium-magnesium-boron is the optimal way to take a
calcium supplement).

While I was at it, I also looked into a multivitamin/mineral supplement
containing calcium, magnesium and boron plus a variety of beneficial
vitamins and minerals.  An M.D. I spoke with at vitacost.com (Lee M.
Schwalben) recommended Synergy 2000, a "house brand" product.
Attractive features were his assertion that it was absolutely gluten
free, plus stated absence of soy and other allergins and no iron (which
can have adverse health consequences if body levels get higher than an
optimal minimum), and capsule form (the heat, pressure, and binders of
tablets appear best to avoid if possible).  The ingredients and
quantities look good to me.  There is only 600 mg of calcium - I believe
1 gram may be more optimal for me - but I may supplement with some Twin
lab tri boron plus to raise the calcium/magnesium level.  I cannot of
course vouch for this product, I can only report my decision based on a
short investigation to try it with some Twin lab tri boron plus to boost
calcium/magnesium a bit.

Here are the responses I received (thanks again to all who responded):

check out Twin Labs....Tri-Boron Plus

. . .

You probably got this recommendation:  Twinlab's TriBoron Plus, w/ Vit.
d, zinc, copper manganese and boron [and magnesium, I believe].

 . . .

"Nature Made" makes all kinds of GF vitamin supplements.

- - -

I take Nature's Life Cal/Mag/Zinc Mineral Complex -
at health food stores, or can be tracked down online and
ordered that way.

Says suitable for vegetarians, and no yeast, milk, dairy, corn,
wheat, gluten, soy, rice, rye, starch, di-calcium phosphate, wax,
flavoring, preservatives or coloring.

One reason I favor this is that it does not have Manganese.  I
received an email notification that supplements that have much
Manganese should not be taken, because 11 mg is the maximum
daily safe dose.  Toxicity can cause Parkinson's - like symptoms.

. . .

Citracal Plus will also do well. It does have Manganese, but only 1 mg
for two tablets. I called the company and they have no inert
ingredients. No soy, yeast, gluten etc. You should be taking a calcium
that is a citrate rather than carbonate. It is easier to digest and does
not cause GI upsets that the carbonate can.  Citracal's number is: 1-800-
292-7364

. . .

I take vitamins from Nature Made.  They say on the label no artificial
colors, flavors, preservatives, chemical solvents, yeast or gluten.  It
says nothing about  soy, however.  Their website address is
www.naturemade.com . . .

I have had very good luck with The Vitamin Shoppe line of vitamins and
supplements.  Most of their products are gluten-free and their products
are very well labeled indicating potential allergens.  They have a web
site (www.vitaminshoppe.com) and several retail stores . . .

Freeda Vitamins makes vitamins that are totally free of additives -
800-777-3737.

I get such a supplement from Freeda Vitamines, called Fem Cal Citrate.

. . .

The vitaminshoppe.com has gluten free offerings for the combinations
of boron/magnesium and calcium/magnesium, but not the combination of
all three. you might want to give then a call. They are quick on
delivery, low on cost, and cost about $5 per order on shipping

- - -

TwinLabs Allergy multi-Caps - has it all and none of what
you don't want.  <www.vitacost.com> sell them at 40% off every day.
They only carry things that actually meet label claims. cbh/Montana

- - -

I take a mineral supplement from Puritan's Pride,
they are a catalog and internet vitamin company free
of many allergens.  Just search the web, they have many
varieties of vitamins and minerals in any combination

- - -

I would suggest yu to go to this site:
http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages
and check Abigail's GF list.

She update it very often and it is a very strict GF list.

. . .

I take Calcium/Magnesium (1000/500mg).  I was taking a smaller dosage,
but don't remember what it was (same brand).  It is by Country Life.  It
also has some phosphorous.  This is a hypoallergenic brand.

No Yeast, corn,wheat, soy, gluten, milk, salt, sugar, preservatives or
artificial color.  I get it at a Health food store.  You could probably
also find it on the web.

. . .

Try Solgars.

. . .

GNC offers several GF Calcium Supplements, including one with magnesium
(not sure about boron-you'd have to check).

. . .

I carry a nice line of Freeda's vitamins.  I just phoned them this week
again to make sure they *guarantee* that all of their vitamins are free
of allergens, and I specifically asked about gluten.  They confirmed
this with me.  (I regularly call vendors to see if they have changed
their protocol or ingredients with regard to any items we carry)

One of Freeda's vitamins that we do carry that you may be interested in
is the Super Cal/Mag vitamin.  The strength: Three tablets provide a
full gram (1000 mg) of elemental calcium and 500 mg of elemental
magnesium.  The daily dose may be taken throughout the day, or all three
at one time.  The Super Cal/Mag is designed to dissolve properly and go
to work quickly in the system.  I do not think there is any boron in
this vitamin, though.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Web site: http://www.glutenfreegrocery.com
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

-----

David E. Scheim, Ph.D.    3300 Old Farm Road     Blacksburg, VA 24060
Phone: 540 552-8014       Fax: 540 552-0507      EMail: [log in to unmask]