From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:21:12 -0500

I have been asked to post the following information.

Q: Is barley and wheat grass safe to use in a gluten-free diet? What
about sprouts?

A: According to information from USDA research chemists, specializing in
wheat gluten and cereal proteins (CA and KS) and a statement from the
American Association of Cereal Chemists, gluten is found only in the
seed kernel (endosperm) and not in the stem and grass leaves. If the
grass is cut from a growing and does not include the seed kernel, it
should be safe for persons with gluten intolerance to use. Wheat and
barley grass are promoted as having superior nutrients, however the
nutrient composition of the grasses is not superior to eating a variety
of fruits and vegetables, which would be overall more healthy and less
expensive than using this supplement. Bottom line is that I would stay
away from it at this time and eat more fruits and vegetables!

My personal and professional choice is not to use these products.
Instead, rely on a variety of gluten-free grains, fruits and vegetables
for a nutrient-rich diet. Feel that you must include a grass in your
diet; I would recommend alfalfa grass instead of the wheat or barley
grass.

As for sprouted wheat or other gluten-containing grains, these are
sometimes used in breads that claim to be gluten-free. In talking with
many of these bread companies, they claim their breads have no gluten,
but none can guarantee that the seed kernels are completely removed
before the sprouts are used or that their products have been tested for
gluten content. This presents an unacceptable risk for persons with
gluten intolerance. GIG does not recommend these products in a
gluten-free diet.

Answer prepared by Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD, (GIG Executive Director) in
consultation with GIG Medical Advisors

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director
Gluten Intolerance Group