From:
Brenda Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brenda Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:01:40 -0500

Just received the following info from Breyers Ice Cream and Nestle Candy re
their GF items as of April, 2002:
From Breyers:
"The only products that we claim are gluten-free are the following:

Breyers "All Natural" Ice Creams:  Vanilla, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip,
Coffee, French Vanilla, Mint Chocolate Chip, Peach, Rocky Road, Strawberry,
Vanilla Fudge Twirl, Vanilla/Chocolate/Strawberry, Take Two
Vanilla/Chocolate, Frozen Yogurt Vanilla/Chocolate/Strawberry, Frozen
Yogurt Chocolate, Light Vanilla, Light Mint Chocolate Chip.

Other Breyers Ice Creams:  Chocolate Rainbow, No Sugar Added Vanilla, No
Sugar Added Vanilla/Chocolate/Strawberry."

Nestle Candy replied:
"April 15, 2002
Thank you for contacting us.  Your comments regarding Nestlé Chocolate and
Confections are very important to us.

In regards to your inquiry, there are eight major food allergens, including
milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts such as walnuts and almonds), soy, wheat,
fish and shellfish.  Labeling regulation requires that all ingredients
added to products be listed in the ingredient statement.  For these eight
major allergens, Nestlé ensures that they are labeled, regardless of the
amount or whether a supplier may have added it to their ingredient.  It is
the responsibility of Nestlé to ensure that these ingredients are properly
labeled by their common or usual name in the ingredient statement.

We want to help our consumers avoid inadvertent ingestion of their specific
allergens of concern by accurately informing them about the product
ingredients and by following Good Manufacturing Practices in our
factories.  All factories using a critical allergen as an ingredient must
take all reasonable precautions to avoid cross-contact of products that do
not normally contain these allergens and products that do not carry a
specific mention in the ingredient statement.  These precautionary
measures include efficient cleaning of production lines and equipment and
strict separation of materials that may contain critical allergens.  If an
allergen does not appear on the ingredient statement, then it has not been
added to the product and the likelihood of cross-contamination contact
is so extremely low that the risk is insignificant.

Due to the aforementioned specifications, we do not have list of our
gluten-free products.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have
caused.

We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you and hope your inquiry
was handled to your
satisfaction.

Sincerely,
Lauren Vargas