From:
Lisa Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 07:51:51 -0400

Thank you to everyone who replied to me! I appreciate your responding. A
lot of folks recommended using ricotta cheese to "create" some kind of
dessert using Stevia or Splenda. Ricotta is good, but doesn't "cure" the
choc. cravings; however, I did find some Russell Stovers chocolate candy,
like choc. covered almonds and peanut butter cups, that are sugar-free,
use Splenda, taste pretty darn good, and are allowable on the SBD...in
small quantities of course.

However, I was told last week by my doctor to stop the SBD because of my
kidneys (just recovered from renal cell carcinoma), so I'm back to my
exercising (not that I gave that up) and watching my food and calorie
intake!

Lisa

Below is a summary of responses

Sweeteners:
Stevia (4)
Splenda (2)
Sweet 'N Low (1)
maple sugar & syrup, agave nectar, and rice syrup (1)

Products:
Blue Bunny makes many products that are delicious, low carb and have
splenda.

treat:
mix Stevia with pure dark cocoa in goat's milk (lactose intolerant) to
make hot chocolate (with cinnamon sprinkled on top).

treat:
ricotta cheese with sweet and low and nuts or chocolate chip

dessert recipe:
little "cheesecake" cupcakes--mixed up some ricotta
cheese (I'd say 2 cups) and threw in an egg, and then added sweetener
and vanilla extract to taste. sprinkle some cinnamon or
nutmeg on the top -- grate up some lemon or lime zest, add
a couple of tablespoons of lemon or lime juice (or both).

Lisa M. Marino
   WebSphere Commerce Information Development
    919.991.1243 or TL 589.1243
   4401 Silicon Drive, Bldg. 675/A203, Durham, NC 27709

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me?"
--Ayn Rand