From:
Russ Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:44:29 -0700

Again, sorry for the delay in summarizing. Thanks for all the good tips.

I did make a chocolate cake that called for cake flour, and substituted
cornstarch for all the flour in the recipe. It turned out very well. The
flavor was great, nothing to hint that it was not wheat flour. The texture
was great, not gritty at all. However, it was a little bit dry (probably
because I didn't add an extra egg) but nothing unpalatable. Everyone seemed
to like it just fine!

Carma in Phoenix

------------
THE QUESTION
------------
Well, I'm baking my son's 1st birthday cake tomorrow. (He's not GF, I am -
but hey, I want to eat cake too!)

I've got a recipe that calls for cake flour, and I'm going to try subbing
cornstarch 1:1, as was discussed on list a few weeks ago. Any last minute
tips for success?

-------------
THE RESPONSES
-------------
Do not try to make a plain white or yellow cake.  Make something that has
enough flavoring to drown out the rice flavor. Spice cake, applesauce cake,
banana cake, etc.
----------
I did the substitution about a week ago and I added 1 egg and 1/2 tsp of
baking powder and it came out great.  I hope yours did too.
---------
I now make all my cakes using corn starch.  You will only need to add an extra
egg to the receipe.  I have made pound cakes and you can not tell that they
are any different from a regular cake.  Good luck.
----------
I make ice cream cake! My kids think it is better than flour cake.
----------
I've never made a cake completely with corn starch but you might want  to try
the cake first by making half a recipe in case it doesn't turn out.  Here is a
good recipe you might want to try if it doesn't work out:

White Cake Recipe - Barbara Emch

Mix in bowl w/wisk:              Cream:
2 cups Gf mix (Bette Hagman)     1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp xanthan gum                1 tsp shortening
1/4 tsp salt                     1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 tsp baking powder          3 eggs

Add 1 cup milk to the creamed mixture, then beat in the dry ingredients and
bake at 350 deg for 30-35 min for two 9" pans, 40-45 min for oblong pan, 15-20
for cupcakes.

Hope your cake making is successful.
----------
wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rather than cornstarch as your only flour (has been a
MESS for me) try 3 psrts rice flour and 1 part sweet rice flour for every 4
parts wheat flour in the recipe. Works all the time for me (a cake lover)-good
luck-Marne
Good luck - next year try some of the easy delicious cakes from

Authentic Foods
Really Great Foods Co.
Gluten-free pantry

You are assured quick success - nobody knows if they are gf are not.