From:
Debra Berke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:31:01 EDT

You might want to try Lolita, they have a very good handle on the GF  diet.
You may also want to look at the Pennsylvania section of  Essential Gluten
Free
Restaurant Guide at www.triumphdining.com. It  has a state-by-state directory

covering around 4,000 restaurants  recommended  by Celiacs.
___
My wife has a GF Bakery here in Madison,  WI and sells, in addition to her
GF
products, the 2006-2007 GF Restaurant  Guide.  I looked up your request  &
found:

1. Barclay  Prime, 237 S. 18th Str
2. Bliss, 220 S. Broad  Str
3. Buca di Beppo,  258 S. 15th Str
4. Buddakan, 325 Chestnut Str (They  have an "official"  GF menu to browse)
5. Capital Grille, 1338 Chestnut  Str
6. Chart  House, 555 S. Columbus Blvd
7. Chickies & Pete's, 1526  Packer  Ave
8. Cucina Forte, 768 S. 8th Str
(I stopped at  8, let me know if  you want a few more)

Which ever you and your sister  pick, I'd check  w/ the waiter/chef to make
sure they're still in a "GF Frame of   Mind."

By the way, my wife's bakery ships all over the U.S. If you  would  like to
visit her website:     www.sillyyakbakery.com  (click the GLUTEN FREE
Products)

I highly  recommend the  GF Majestic Valley Coffeecake, the GF Garlic  Cheddar

bread and especially the GF  Cinnamon Swirl.  Ask for a  recipe utilizing the

GF Swirl that makes  double-decker GF French  Toast with a layer of bananas
in-between.  It's out  of this  world; in the neighborhood of Mars or Venus.
___
Be careful. In Chinatown,  in the past, there was a tofu-like product that
is
actually made from  wheat. I can't tell you where. It has been a long  time.
Most of the $$$  restaurants can accommodate. Philly has good  food.

___
Welcome  to my neighborhood!  There's Mr. Ritt's Gluten-Free Bakery on  5th  &

Passyunk.  Anything you want to go, i.e. bread for a sandwich  at  Reading
Terminal Market.  There are Italian almond paste  cookies at  DiBruno's in
the
Italian Market.  Chef Oscar at  Fitzwater Cafe (7th &  Fitzwater) will make
you
pasta with  veggies and olive oil and garlic if you tell  him you want Jax's
pasta.  Madyson is also gluten-friendly (19th between  Chestnut  and Market)
and
there are Whole Foods stores at 10th & South and  up  in the Art Museum area.

Also there is  Essene at 4th and  Monroe with  lots of  gluten-free goodies.
The
chef at  D'jango's at 4th and South  once put little hearts on every safe
dish,
but they've sold to another person  and you have to check.  Last  time I was
there, the staff was in place and  knew exactly what to do.

___
We're particularly fond of the Radicchio Cafe at 314 Wood  Street.  It's
Northern Italian and they're very accommodating. We go  there about  2
times per month. Get there early since it fills up by 6  and they  don't
take reservations.

___
Try going to  www.goodhealthpublishing.com  for a list of  105+
national/regional  restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free  items.
There's also a  gluten free dining card that can be presented to  restaurant
personnel  to ease the ordering process.

___
expensive, but try Twenty21 at 21st  and Market. I called in  advance  for a
reservation, and had the  maitre d' check with the chef  about a GF  meal.
Everyone seemed  quite knowledgeable, and the wait  staff was prepared  as
well, as
was the pastry/dessert chef. Elegant,  and the food was worth  the  expense.
They have a web site  at

http://www.twenty-21.com

You  can Google "twenty21" for  reviews.

___

I'm not sure of an actual restaurant, but in  the  Reading Terminal you might

be able to find a cheese steak  vendor that only fries  their french fries.
If
you find one like  that, you can probably convince  them to put the meat on
top of the  fries, instead of the bun.  It's pretty  tasty that way and I've
enjoyed a couple of times while in the  city.

Deb, Newark,  DE