From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:06:36 -0600

It's really great to see more and more restuarants and bakeries opening up
that cater to the gluten-free diet, but it seems that although the entire
menu is often GF, many of these places also serve regular gluten-containing
bread.

Personally, I would really prefer not to eat beside someone who's breaking
open a crusty bun because the crumbs fly everywhere. I would rather take my
chances at a restaurant where bread is not the main focus of the menu.

-- the new GF restaurant in Calgary, Alberta [Splitt Pourhouse & Grill] also
serves regular bread, and according to the postings on the message board I
just visited, they charge $2 extra if you want rice bread.

-- here is a GF bakery that makes a huge mouth-watering selection of baked
goodies,
"organic gluten free/casein  free cafe is a dedicated facility with an
in-house bakery making fresh bread and bagels daily as well as fresh pastas,
pizza and ravioli. Desserts include cheesecake, fresh seasonal fruit pies,
brownies and cookies. All menu items are gluten free, although glutenous
bread is purchased from an outside vendor, so members of your party who are
not celiac can be accommodated happily."

Why is this necessary? Why isn't the GF bread good enough for "normal"
people?
What is "wrong" with it that it can't be served to everyone? Doesn't it
taste good? It's a bakery - I don't understand ....

Janice.