From:
Jan Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 02:55:09 -0400

Thank you all for the many great recipes that I received !   Many of the
suggestions were duplicates or substitutes, so if I don't mention you
personally please don't take offense !  I really appreciate everyone's
effort.

Several people wrote to tell me of the Angel Food recipes in Betty Hagman's
books, "The Gluten-Free Gormet" (pg. 78), and "More From the Gluten-Free
Gormet" (pg. 102). I'm not posting these two since so many people seem to
have these books. If you don't have them and would like the recipes, please
let me know and I'm post them personally.

Several other letters told me of a recipe on the box of "Swan" brand Potato
Starch Flour which is carried at Safeway.

Here are the four that I thought to be most promising and not overly
complicated:

1) "Real" Angel Food cake  (Thank you, Beth)

1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons corn starch
Sift the above together 3 times

Beat 1 1/2 cup egg whites (12 eggs). Gradually add additiional 3/4 cup sugar,
two tablespoons at a time. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add 1 tsp
vanilla extract and 1/2 almond extract.

Fold in flour & sugar mixture gently until all mixture is used. Bake in angel
food pan on bottom rack of oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, then at 350
degrees for 15 minutes. (Or a few minutes less, depending on your oven). Turn
upside down to cool like you would any other angel food cake.

2) Sponge Cake (Thank you, Jerry & Reni)

8 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cup sifted sugar
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon or orange rind
3 Tbl. lemon or orange juice
1 full cup potato starch, sifted
dash of salt

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff, set aside. Beat the egg
yolks for 2 minutes at high speed, add juice, sugar and rind and mix for 2
minutes at med. speed. Gradually add the sifted potato starch and continue
mixing at med. speed for 2 more minutes.  Fold the beaten egg whites gently
but thououghly with the egg yolk mixture.  Place in an ungreased 2 piece 10"
tube pan and bake at 350 deg. for 55-60 min. or until the cake springs back
when firmly touched with fingers.  Invert pan and cool thoroughly before
removing cake from pan.  I use a wine bottle (filled with water for
stability) and tip the cake pan over it.  It keeps the cake from being
squashed.

3)  Angel Food Cake (Thank you, Toni and Carolyn)

1 cup + 2 Tbsp. GF flour mix
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
12 egg whites (room temperature)
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond flavoring
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix the flour, half of the sugar, and the xanthan gum in a bowl and set
aside.

Place the 12 egg whites in a separate bowl and beat until frothy.  Add the
cream of tartar, flavoring, and salt to the egg whites and whip until stiff
(but not dry).  Slow the mixer's speed and gradually add in the remaining
sugar.  Stop and scrape the bowl.

By hand, fold the flour mixture into the egg white mixture, 1/4 of the flour
mixture at a time.  Pour the batter into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
 Gently cut through the batter with a knife to break air bubbles.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 munutes.  Remove from the oven and invert
immediately to cool.  Keep the inverted cake level while cooling or it will
sag to one side of the pan.  As the cake cools, it will stiffen and probably
pull away from the sides of the pan or fall out.

4)  Angel Food Cake, Canadian ingredients (Thank you, Nancy)

1 1/2 cups Sterks Gluten free flour (any gluten free flour should do)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 t gluten free baking powder (Mr. Goudas)
1 t salt
1/2 cup oil
7 egg yolks
3/4 cup orange or pineapple juice
1 t vanilla
7 beaten egg whites & 1/2 t cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
Make a hollow. Add oil, egg yolks, juice, and vanilla.
Mix until smooth.  Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, with cream
of tartar.
Fold the two mixes together gently.
Pour into ungreased tube pan.  Bake for 50 minutes.
Turn pan upside down while cooling.

Thank you all once again.  This will make my daughter's 12th birthday a
success !

CheekyR