From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:26:21 -0400

I just got an email from a friend of mine who lives in St. Paul, Minn...(someone we met when we traveled to New Orleans several years ago, with Bob and Ruth's gf travel club). Evidently, he recently ordered a gluten-free pizza from a restaurant he's used for quite awhile, and they delivered a regular one by mistake. He didn't realize it and ate it. In addition to upchucking, he actually passed out twice. I've heard tales of people fainting, but never knew anyone who did. But then, pizza dough is high in gluten.

The pizza place apologized, admitted the error, and offered to send him a replacement...gluten-free, but he's not dealing with them anymore.

I can get gf pizza in at least 3 restaurants near our home in southern NJ, but they look different from regular ones....and none of the places delivers. I'm not sure I'd trust them to deliver, even if they did. I like to be there to ask them over and over, "Are you sure this is the gluten-free one?" Could have been the delivery-boy who gave my friend the wrong pie. It will take our friend awhile to get over it, but that was really scary.

I'm just writing to alert folks and say...be careful, not that we need reminding. As more and more restaurants are picking up on gluten-free food, I think there is more risk, because they're not all as well trained as they should be.

Stay well.

Lin

*******
*******