From:
Henry Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 18:48:27 -0800

Hi all,
This is the summary regarding airlines and GF meals.  Sorry for the
delay, this is my first summary.

While I had an overall good experience with traveling on American
Airlines,  it looks like the total feedback is a bit missed.

Response summaries:
who works at American).
2 were negative responses with folks having food obviously not GF and
with flight attendants less than knowledgeable.
3 were positive with the right food.  2 of these talked of flight
attendants that went out of way to ensure the meals were good...and most
importantly GF!  2 reported actually getting food brought back from
first class!
2 were mixed with some good and bad experiences.  One reported good food
on flights that originated in Canada, but on US to US destinations.

I would recommend that you write back to Customer Service of any
airlines with comments rewarding good food service and likewise,
"constructive feedback" for the not so good experiences.  They will only
learn from what we tell them!!   So I guess we must keep educating folks
the CS message and what it is...and it looks like...what it isn't.
Best Regards,
Kathy

Comments selected from individual mails:
I too had a good experience with American, BUT for breakfast,
they give me scrambled eggs, potatoes, honey dew and
a BAGEL !! - It was individually wrapped, so it didn't ruin
my meal.  - Then dinner was Grilled Chicken, Steamed Veggies,
Honey Due and a MUFFIN (individually wrapped again).

I fly American a lot and can tell you that you were lucky.  Just about
half the time they get it right.  I've had great gf meals on American
(better than the bistro bags that everyone else is having for sure!).
But I've also been given bad meals -- breaded chicken, rolls, etc.  I
now make it a practice that anytime a GF meal has been requested and
it is not received, I follow up with the facts in mail to the
airlines.

I have taken 10 flights on American this year, of the ones that did not
originate in Canada (8 of them were US to US destinations) I have
received no correct GFML's.  I have had pasta 6 times and a bun
sandwich twice now.

I never seem to have a problem on American if the food is put on board
in Toronto or Vancouver (my home).

I have had great success with airlines providing GF meals:  TWA, SAS,
Delta, American,US Airways Continental, and British Airways.  On my last
trip to England with Continental and I was surprised at how
accommodating they were.  They brought me a fresh fruit and cheese plate
from 1st class...no crackers or bread of course.  Then they brought me a
plate of shrimp, also from 1st class.

One time when the airlines forgot to provide me with a special meal, the
lady attendant when and got me two first class meals so that I could
pick out those items that I could eat.  Many of those people can be very
nice and helpful if you just let them know that you have a diet problem.