From:
Gary Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 07:42:33 -0700

Greetings

I am new to the list and could use some help.  I had been having some
problems with insomnia, fatigue and I also started to gain weight, that all
started about two years ago.  Eight months ago after going on a health kick,
eating low fat whole grains, exercising etc, I started having neurological
problems.  Numbness and tingling, heat sensitivity, heavy cement like feeling
that is unexplainable, a feeling of being shocked, memory problems, gait
problems (used a cain when walking) and much more including stomach pain once
in a great while, also nausea.  It was thought that I had ms.  With in two
days of having a B-12/folic acid shot, I got a bit better, my gait was more
of a shuffle, my head was clear.  This was short lived.  Some one asked me if
I had looked in to gluten as my problem.  I have now been on a gluten free
diet for about 25 days and at this point am doing VERY well.  All my neuro
symptoms are gone, and I am gaining more energy every day.  Here is my
problem.  All my tests for ms (spinal tap, MRI's) were negative.  Just found
out yesterday that all my blood work for celiac is negative/normal
(endomysial antibody, serum carotene, paraneoplastic antibodies).

I had those tests done four days into the diet.  I never had the biopsy done
because I had already started on the diet and would have had to wait three
weeks before I could get an appointment.  (dont think they figured I had CD
anyway) I have also never tested positive for any vitamin deficiencies (that
I know of).  I just recieved word from the doctor that ordered the
tests.....("she certainly does not have any evidence of a malabsorption
syndrome since actually she has gained weight.").  Well, I am much improved
since being on a gluten free diet but I am still more than frustrated with
the whole thing.  I cant be the only one who ever tested negative and did not
lose weight, but still may have celiac.  I spent the second year of my life
on antibiotics due to illness (no one ever could figure it out) .  Other
members of my family have also had problems that would go along with celiac,
either as kids and/or as adults.  I would like to hear from others, most
especially if you did not or do not fit the mold so to speek.

Thanks for any help you can give
Patti :}  [log in to unmask]