From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:47:29 -0500

Hi Listmates,

We just returned from a trip to Minnesota and Iowa and wanted to share some restaurant finds.

The Atlas World Grill at 127 Iowa Avenue, Iowa City, IA has a gluten free menu available with many gluten free items listed.  It is a bar & grill with an outside seating area as well as inside.  It is located on the corner of Dubuque Street and Iowa Avenue near the Old Capitol Mall.

We had Polenta with Portabella Mushrooms and melted Mozzarella Cheese with a vegetable rattatouille.  It was absolutely wonderful!

Also, there is a chain called the Timberlodge Steakhouse with locations in Minnesota as well as some other states.  I remember seeing that there was one in Naperville, Illinois for sure.  The one in Owatonna, Minnesota  was very accomodating and served a wonderful meal of broiled walleye with baked potato, veggies, and salad.  Unfortunately, they do not have a GF menu.

We also ate several times at a place called the Sawmill Inn in Brainerd, Minnesota.  They make real mashed potatoes and fresh hash browns instead of the usual frozen ones.  We had a smothered chicken which was a grilled chicken breast with fresh onions, green peppers, and mushrooms and cheese melted on top.  Everything that we inquired about was freshly prepared with less processed food than you would think.  They even fixed a yummy ice cream sundae for my husband with fresh strawberries and blueberries.  He couldn't have been happier!

We have no connection to any of these restaurants other than being satisfied customers.

I hope that this information is helpful to you in your travels.

Barbara in Missouri