From:
Michelle Creber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Creber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:49:17 -0600

I was just looking at a product, which is labelled gluten free, then =
under the ingredients it says manufactured on equipment that processes =
wheat ` is this allowed?I am from Canada, so the 6th one is great!Replies:  It's all about the risk of cross contamination and your trust in the company to adequately clean the equipment between runs.
Sometimes a statement like that is there for CYA and other times the cross contamination issue is more significant. Another
interesting point to make is that the shared equipment disclaimer is entirely voluntary. It is very possible and probably common
for products to be made on shared equipment with no mention of it. Makes our lives just that much more interesting!

Yes, it is. They have plainly revelaed to you the truth, so you can
decide whether or not you want to purchase their product.

This means the ingredients have no gluten in them, but the equipment may
also be used to process products that have wheat in them.

Without any FDA regulations it is allowed but you always take the chance of
cross contamination and might ingest gluten and get sick. Unfortunately as
more and more companies get into the gluten free business you find a lot of
stuff labeled gluten free but not really.

Until the FDA provides an official definition for GF, there are NO rules or standards. We've been waiting over 5 years for that to happen.
Once it does, those who want to put GF will have to test the products to make sure they meet the standard. Until then, the label is only as good as the intergrity of the manufacturer.

No, and for more information, you should check out http://www.glutenfreecertification.ca/
- they provide excellent information for standards in Canada.

Yes because as of now the US has no labeling law regarding gluten! So they could even say it's gluten-free and it still could contain gluten!
Hopefully they well defined the term gluten-free shortly in the US.

Thanks so much for your replies!!

*******
*******