From:
Amy Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:38:18 EST

Thanks to all who wrote with suggestions as to what to add to meatballs for
Passover.  Here are a few of your suggestions...

I use corn meal in my meatballs.

Don't worry, you can use any starch flour and your meatballs will still come
out good. Even crushed cereal is a good filler.

If you can get Paskesz Pesach Crumbs that should substitute well for matzah
meal.  Potato pancake mix may work as well.  I really don't know whether or
not potato starch will work.  I found out the hard way my first Pesach that
it's not a great substitute for matzah meal (I made vegetarian kishke that
was the consistency of the rubber on our car tires *chuckle* - even the dog
wouldn't touch it!).  I hope one of the above might work for you.  You didn't
say where you are, but maybe a local Kosher
supermarket will have Oat Matzah there.

I don't know what the requirements for passover are, so this may not help
you, but meal loaf/meat balls don't need the bread crumbs at all. Just make
it with meat and eggs and herbs, perhaps some tomato juice.
The eggs really are good enough for binding. (Make a small batch and test to
see if your family likes it.)
Sometimes I put in some ground almonds, as they soak up some of the liquid.
I don't know if you can use parmesan cheese in a Passover meat loaf. If you
can, that adds flavor and acts as a binder.
Also, ground flax seed is another binder. You don't need much.
You could even blend up some cooked rice and use it for a binder.

In a pinch, I use rice crackers to make bread crumbs ... I don't know if that
would count as kosher for passover ... but they work well. I have always made
meatballs without any starch added. Since I no longer eat those made by
non-celiacs I can't remember the difference.  It may be a matter of texture,
but also has to do with stretching the meat...I use higher quality ground
beef for better texture.  Years ago a friend from India told me she always
used all meat. I know that other celiacs add gf crumbs or rice cereal or even
 rice, but seems unnecessary.

Yes, potato starch or flakes work just as well - year-round.

Interesting - we Jewish celiacs & wheat intolerants here in Vancouver ordered
a case and got wheat matzah in error, and then it was too late apparently to
rectify, so we're going to have to make do with good old rice cakes.

Before I went GF I would use crushed up crackers as an ingredient for
meatballs and meatloaf. Do you have any GF crackers you could crush and use
in lieu of the matzo meal? It should leave you with the same effect. I don't
think you would have the desired effect with the potato starch.

You can use Pesach Crumbs that are kosher for Passover.  They are made by
Paskesz. Make sure they say Non-Gebroks.  Go to a kosher supermarket.

I don't know what your recipe consists of but I use GF rice cereal or corn
flakes coarsely ground in my coffee grinder or just pounded.

Have a good Pesach.You can use potato flakes from the latkes mix boxes.