From:
Grace Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Grace Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:05:37 -0400

This is Halloween season! The Gluten-Free Bakehouse is such a blessing. I hope the newly diagnosed folks under my radar never become frightened by scare tactics. I hope those in my support group who have refractory sprue have hope and friends who share information that is accurate about a good diet.
The gluten-free diet is daunting for a newly diagnosed person. Refractory sprue is an overwhelming challenge and those in our support group who deal with this condition daily need all the encouragement we can give them.
The suggestion that we live in a gluten-free bubble is pretty depressing. 50 ppm is the amount found by the best scientists to be the lowest level at which changes. not damage but changes can be detected. There is no test that goes down to zero because there is no such thing. Also, a test that shows 50 ppm or any ppm does not say that is the amount in the product, only that it is as low as the test can go. Therefore, the product contains somewhere between 50 ppm and zero.
Purists who want to live with a gluten-free, germ free, tasty diet really make if confusing for all of us and in no way does the scare tactic serve us and support our effort to be concerned about the trials we who have celiac disease face in society. We cannot become goblins. We must remember the rules of friendship.
Thank you, Lee Tobin. You are a genius and you are willing to share your talents with us by working very very hard.
We thank you and do appreciate your efforts in our mission. We thank Whole Foods for listening and being the friend we need. That your gluten-free products are now reaching our friends on the West Coast is a miracle.

Grace Johnston
Lewisville, NC