From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 16:10:00 -0400

"Had we not, contrary to our doctor's wishes, put our daughter on a gluten
free diet..."

The sentence pulled me almost out of my chair.  Why is it that so many
medical professionals are against trying a gluten free diet?  How can we
reach them?  And how do we convince them that it IS possible to just try
the diet rather than putting kids (or adults, for that matter) thru the
biopsy?   Much cheaper, and no side effects that I can think of. If gluten
free removes the symptoms, what more do they want??  I put myself on a
gluten free diet and solved my own probems after years of going from doctor
to doctor and having all the tests they prescribed - which did NOT include
a biopsy.  Then, when I returned to the MD three months later and said I
had found the solution to my constant diarrhea, he wanted me to return to
eating wheat so that I could have a biopsy.  What sense did that make?  I
refused.  The irony is that the doctor's wife has celiac disease!

Does anyone have an answer to these questions?  Is it only that MD's egos
are involved in finding the solution?  Are they taught in med school that
Celiac disease is so rare they never consider it?  How can there be almost
600 of us who have the equipment to get on this list if it so rare.  I am
not a statistician, but think how many don't have computers or are not on
line or do not kow the list exists.  Think how many are still searching for
a diagnosis...

Just venting my frustrations.  Surely others feel the same.

Gayle K.