From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:35:13 -0500

I just don't even know where to begin this message.  First of all, by
apology for having made an error.  If I have made your lives confused, I am
truly sorry.

You can't be half as confused as I am.   I seem to have mixed up  MSG and
HVP (which stands for Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein).  HVP has, in the past,
been used in Cure 81 Hams.  Evidently that is no longer the case,or if it
is still used, they are guaranteeing that it is made from corn and contains
no gluten. I'm tempted to go buy one myself, just to try it and see whether
or not I react.

The problem is that  HVP in the natural juices (and made from corn) is
hydrolyzed in  processing, and part of it becomes MSG.  Now isn't that
confusing?  I obviously found it so - and still do.

Don Wiss, who is on the NOMSG LIST, and really understands all this, sent
the following:

>  HVP in the natural juices (and made from corn) is hydrolyzed in
> some processing, and part of it becomes MSG.

>HVP [is what is in Hormel Cure 81 Ham]. If MSG was used it would have to
>be so labeled. So they use HVP instead. If from corn, it should not be a
>problem.

Don also says:

> I think MSG should be avoided.

He goes on to say:

> But nothing says it [HVP] has to be from corn. More often HVP is made from
> a gluten grain. To hydrolyze protein you need a cheap protein to start
> with. Gluten is a cheap protein.

I guess if I knew what the term "hydrolyzing" means, I'd be better able to
make sense of some this. But even then, it seems to be convoluted and
difficult.

We should probably believe Hormel that they have used corn and that we are
safe.  If anyone finds they have a negative reaction - please let me know.

Once again, I am very sorry for all the confusion.  Gayle Kennedy