From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 20:30:28 -0400

Following on Gayle's comments regarding the GF grains (and buckwheat which
isn't even a grain) it has been my understanding that some celiacs also
have a problem with corn. So why isn't corn listed as a grain to avoid?

The thing about the CSA conference booklet that got me the most (having
seen that CSA page of things to avoid before) was the "News Release" on a
"Rare Disease Caused by Grains" that they suggest giving to the media to
publicize October as being celiac month. It states "an estimated 80,000 of
them in the United States." Now really. That gives an incidence of
something like 1:3,400. No study, except those that only count people
already diagnosed, found such an incidence. Here we are on this list trying
to get funding to study our disorders, and the largest celiac organization
is making it appear to be rarer than it is.

For those new to the list the only epidemiological study in the US on a
random sample of *healthy* people found an incidence of 1:250. This study
excluded anyone anemic, and anemia is the *number one* prior diagnosis
according to both the Canadian Celiac Association's survey of several years
ago and the more recent Celiac Disease Foundation survey.

Don (in Brooklyn, NY).