Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:30:48 -0800

Thanks to all who responded. The general info is
below. Some specific suggestions for eating as well as
the standard "stick to the grilled fish & meats"
suggestions.

Thanks again.

Donna

On Hilton Head, we had good luck at Steamers.  It is
featured in most of the restaurant guides and is located
in a popular shopping area near the middle of the island.
They also have live entertainment.  I had the steamed
seafood platter and had no problems.  Avoid the Crazy
Crab.  I tried to order a plain salad three times and kept
getting an unacceptable imitation!  I ordered the steamed
seafood platter and it came breaded and broiled (breading
not mentioned on the menu), and after sending it back and
having it redone without breading, I still got sprued.

I go to Earthfare in the S. Windermere Shopping Ctr.

I think I would just call them for directions when you get
here.  The # in the phone book is 769-4800 or 769-0794.  I
live in the north area and go to Health Nuts Organic Foods
and Sports Nutrition especially since my wife is on a low
carb diet.  (I'm the celiac) And it is located at 2110
Green Ridge Plaza Corner of Rivers and Greenridge.  Ph #
764-4956.

There are others listed in the phone book.

As far as restaurants I eat at steakhouses a lot such as
the Outback or Ryan's Steakhouse.  I play it safe and
usually have steak and baked potato.  Ryan's has a great
hotbar and is much more economical and I go to Wendy's a
lot and have chili, fries and a frosty if you are in a
hurry.  I will also send you our newspapers web site which
has a lot of tourists information.

--

All I did was call ahead for reservations and explained
the situation.  All of these restaurants were very

   Cafe Europa - Harbour Town  - 843-671-3399
   Truffles - Sea Pines Center  -  843-671-6136
   Harbourmaster's - $$$, not for small children  - 843-785-3030
   Great Plains Cattle Co. - 843-842-8540
   CQ's Harbour Town  -  843-671-2779

Did not got to, but told it was good:

   Old Oyster Factory - no reservations  - 843-681-6040
   Tony Roma's  - 843-842-4825
   Brian's 1301 Bistro - $$$, not for small children - 843-681-6001
   Steamers
   Outback

Told to stay away from:  Crazy Crab

--

When I was there we went to lots of seafood restaurants.  Didn't
have any trouble at any of them.  I just explained my situation,

I got sprued once at Harold's Diner with an omelette, so I guess
I wouldn't recommend it.  Otherwise no problems.  Have eaten at
Hudson's, Old Oyster Factory, there is a really good restaurant
there called Mi Tierra just barely on the island on the south
side of the road.  I had a rice/shrimp dish that cost about $15
that was absolutely delicious.

Hope that helps.  Sorry I don't know more.  I really don't think
you'll have any problems.  Have fun.  --

====

"Real life isn't always going to be perfect or go our way, but
the recurring acknowledgement of what is working in our lives can
help us not only to survive but surmount our difficulties."-       Sarah
Ban Breathnach