From:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 11:07:42 -0400

After reading the recent posts regarding Dannon Yogurts and being a
regular user of their products, I called them to try to get
clarification on just what was behind the change in their position. I
tried to probe their support person in depth and found that there was
little depth to be probed as he was reading from a prepared statement. I
requested a written response and received the appended letter. Their
response speaks to three main points:

o A change in the FDA position to require that the presence of an
"allergen" at any level exclude a food from being classified as
"allergen free".

o The possibility that the "natural flavor systems" "might have
ingredients added to stabilize the flavor" and that "These ingredients
can be derived from gluten sources."

o They "cannot guarantee that the alcohol portion of the natural flavor
system is always derived from corn and not from wheat.....".

I am not familiar with any recent changes in FDA's position and or
regulations and would appreciate hearing from people with direct
information regarding current FDA regulations. If Dannon is correctly
interpreting the FDA, I wonder if it is having the unintended
consequence of causing paranoia among food vendors that could adversely
affect us by further and unnecessarily restricting the variety of foods
available to us.

Based on my reading of the letter and my experience with their products,
I will continue to use Dannon Yogurts and will write them to encourage
them to further consider their position. I am not encouraging others to
use these products since that should be an informed and personal choice.
I do encourage others to continue to call and write Dannon to let them
know this is an important matter worthy of their efforts.

Joel

DANNON

The Dannon Company, Inc.

120 White Plains Road . Tarrytown, NY 10591 -5536 . Phone (914) 366-9700
. Fax (914) 366-2805

April 5, 2000

Dear Mr. Elias:

Thank you for contacting The Dannon Company, Inc. We sincerely
appreciate your interest in Dannon yogurt products.

As a follow-up to your inquiry, Dannon yogurt products historically were
characterized as "gluten free". However, we can no longer classify them
as completely free of gluten. The change in the classification of our
products is not a result of a change in the formulation or recipe of any
of our yogurt brands but is based on the following:

1. Authoritative health and nutrition associations have identified
differences in opinion over:

- Levels of gluten that can be detected

- The levels of gluten that will cause sensitivity

- Appropriate labeling statements for gluten free products

2. A lack of accurate tests to measure low levels of gluten

3. The FDA has taken the position that ANY presence of an allergen,
regardless of the amount present, should exclude a food from being
classified as "allergen free"

For our valued consumers that may have allergenic risks associated with
gluten, please keep in mind that the natural flavor systems used in
Dannon products might have ingredients added to stabilize the flavor.
These ingredients can be derived from gluten sources. Since there is a
current lack of consensus on threshold levels and methods of detection,
Dannon's products can no longer be classified as "gluten free". Our
products are not specifically formulated to contain gluten but we cannot
guarantee that the alcohol portion of the natural flavor system is
always derived from corn and not from wheat, oats, rye and barley.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Once again, thank you for
contacting Dannon. Sincerely

Christopher Vargo

Consumer Response Representative

End.