From:
Bonnie Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:30:56 -0600

My sister-in-law, who lives in the Salt Lake City area, has recently
developed a rash that her dematologist thinks may be DH.  Unfortunately,
the biopsy came back as inconclusive.  He suggested that she try the gluten
free diet to see if it helps.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but my
understanding was that it takes many months, possibly years before the DH
symptoms respond to a gluten free diet.  This makes the "try the diet and
see if it helps" approach a bit impractical (to say the least).  I'm also
concerned that if she starts the GF diet righ away, other tests may  give
false negative results.  I told her I would do some research for her on
alternatives.  Has anyone out their had an "inconclusive" DH biopsy?   What
would you recommend in this case?  Should she seek a jejunal biopsy or
blood tests for CD.  I would be particularly grateful if any of our medical
experts would comment what her next step should be.  Also, is there any one
out their from the SLC area who could recommend a doctor with some
expertise in DH and CD.

Thanks,

Bonnie Tyler
Bozeman, MT