From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:43:42 -0700

Well, I did not get as big a response as I would have liked.

Here is my original post:

BEGIN>>>
I'm a celiac and a Type II diabetic. I am enquiring to see if a.)  Any of
you are type II also, b.) Have gone on any long term hikes (we are talking
over 2 weeks here!)  and  c.) How did you fare?

I The really important things I need to know are:

1. What did you pack to eat?
2. How did you manage your carb intake while hiking all day?
<<<<<END

Guess there just aren’t as many backpackers out there as I had hoped... but
here is what I found:

First, a search on the internet using this query found me quite a few great
ideas: "gluten free hiking foods"

In general, long range backpackers cook up and dehydrate their own meals for
taking along on through hikes and any trips of a weeks duration or more.

I also found that AlpineAire www.alpineaire.com/ advertises their GF food
choices on their site.  I think I will try using some of the more pricy
individual packs to find out which I like before investing in their bulk
items for repacking purposes.

A "Moose Goo" recipe (also suggested to me by someone on the list). The name
sounds terrible, but the ingredients are yummy stuff and can definitely be
made GF!  See here:  www.ultralightbackpacker.com/index.html

I also found this in the archive for a question regarding GF and VEG hiking
food choices at:  www.glutenfreeforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t16161.html
Some of the choices would definitely not be practical for the through hiker
wanting to go 200 miles or more!  But their were some really helpful posts
none-the-less!

I did find a summary of hiking fare on the celiac listserve but it was very
outdated and I would not use it without first doing all the prerequisite
contacting of the manufacturers.

And finally I thank you who took the time for a response for your very kind
help.  Seems there are only just a few out there who backpack and are Celiac
AND Diabetic like me!  Here are the responses I received:

~~~Nuts and seeds are really good for protein, minerals, and low glycemic.

~~~ From Madwoman Foods www.madwomanfoods.com - We make a tea cake that can
be kept nonrefrigerated for about a week that is made of almond meal and has
10g of protein per package but is only 2 to 3 glycemic load.  Although a
favorite hiking food, you'll want to be careful with those nutrition bars.
Many are way too high in carbs and will spike your blood sugar.    Whey
protein may also be a good thing to take along if you're okay with mixing
it with water instead of milk. We're working on a recipe for a low glycemic
nutrition bar but it's a bit of a challenge. I look forward to this
development!

~~~ I would recommend you try Zone bars, which are a balance of protein,
carbohydrate, and fat.  Call the 800 number on the box.  Some flavors are
gluten free.  I particularly like the chocolate caramel crunch.  They would
be good to pack in a backpack.  ALSO MENTIONED:  Lara Bars GF, but Balance
Bars and Powerbars came with the warning to check the ingr. as some are NOT
GF.  It was also mentioned that if the carbs are too high that eating them
half at a time would be a good alternative for the diabetic hiker.

~~~ little packets of salmon and tuna in [your] lunch... would be good for
the protein you would need.

~~~Hormel Pepperoni is GF, and the stick variety (packed 2 sticks to a pack)
work as well as beef jerky, but not as dry (nor as light). I usually pack
some for long afternoons, plane flights and camping when I go.

~~~Gatoraid  (not sure this would work for long term hiking though)

HELPFUL DIABETIC ADVICE:

~~~Take more breaks and eat little bits OFTEN. Make my own  pb crackers for
some of the longer breaks- maybe every 4 hours.

I chose to quote the following in its entirety as it seemed very sage
advice:

~~~My main problem is avoiding hypoglycemia.  I eat/snack at even shorter
time intervals than normal (1-2 hours instead of 2-3 hours).
Nut/seed/low-carb protein snacks (nut butter sandwiches with veggies or
fruit spread are also a favorite of mine) for longer term energy and
fruit/veggies/energy bars for shorter term energy needs.  Soy protein chips
are also good and last on the trail.   Carry glucose tabs for hypoglycemic
emergencies.
	General info is fine, but due to differences in meds and metabolism
you should try to do some test monitoring.  If you have the chance, simulate
a day of hiking and see how your BG levels react to the exercise and eating
certain foods.  Depending on your regular exercise experience and your
personal recognition sensitivity to BG lows and highs, you may have a good
'feel' for how your doing while hiking.  However, regular BG testing is
important to help you keep in a good range and better able to adjust eating
to your activity.
	One last point - the days activity will have lasting effects on your
levels overnight, so be watchful of nighttime and morning levels.

So, thanks to all and I am now looking forward with more excitement and less
fear of the challenge I have set for myself next summer!

Maybe I'll see ya on the Appalachian Trail!

Lynda Swink

~*~ [log in to unmask]  ~*~ _@V ~*~