From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:13:57 -0500

On Feb 26, 1996 16:22:04, '"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> two industry professionals who are with companies that
>make maltodextrins.  They told me that as far as they know all
>maltodextrins in the US are made from corn starch and with
>enzymes that are not derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats.

I spoke to Sam Wyld at EnerG-Foods about the sources for maltodextrin about
three months ago. He said that  food manufacturer use corn as the source
because it's much, much cheaper. MIke Jones, when asked, said he only knew
of one non-corn using maker --they used tapioca!

Does anyone know of a food manufacturer whose  maltodextrin is NOT gluten
free?

The case at hand, however involved calcium tablets so different regulations
and new terms as well as meanings in the ingredient list.
                        Kemp Randolph
                        Long Island