From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:23:18 -0600

Hello Everyone,

I have had several inquiries about my comment about citric acid being
the culprit in my husband's problem with Jamba Juice smoothies.

The reason that we determined that it was probably the citric acid was
that it was the only ingredient in the smoothie that it could be.  The
smoothie contained various fresh fruits and the bananas that were
processed in another country using citric acid.

If you go to www.celiac.com and bring up the Safe Additives List, you
will find that it says that Citric Acid made in the USA is GF.   There
is an asterisk after this comment and the explanation is as follows:

"All the citric acid in the US is made from corn.  Outside the USA the
acid can also be derived from other sources of dextrose, including cane
sugar and wheat.  Some of the citric acid used in the US is imported
from other countries, such as China.  Imported citric acid may be made
from corn, sugar or wheat.  USA made citric acid capacity remains
stable.  There are three domestic producers of citric acid -- Archer
Daniels Midland, Cargill, and Haarmann & Reimer -- with total capability
of 460 million lb/yr of citric acid.  All three produce citric acid
through the fermentation of corn-based dextrose."

Also, another listmember advised that the Jamba Juice in the Bread &
Circus in Cambridge, Mass. uses soy milk sweetened with barley malt.  It
was not mentioned which of their products include this ingredient.

Hope this helps.

Barbara in Illinois