From:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:26:44 -0600

A few posts have been on the list recently regarding the gluten free
status of multivitamins and mineral supplements.  This is a
legitimate issue and a significant concern to celiacs.  The list has
contained recommendations on products, and as we know, the products
need to be monitored for changes in formulation.  In addition, a list
of gluten free vitamins is available at my website,
www.napervillegi.com under the celiac link.  (The list is maintained
by folks at the Wheaton Celiac Support group, which I started a few
years ago.)

Celiacs have a significantly increased chance of having an abnormal
bone density test.  There is substantial controversy in the medical
literature on whether there is an increased risk of bone fracture in
Celiacs.  It was a surprise that the abnormal bone density did not
predict fracture risk as it did in the elderly population.  When a
study does show an increased risk of hip fracture the absolute risk
is low.  That is, risk of fracture may increase 1.5 to 2 fold, but
that brings the risk from something like 1 in 1000 to 1 in 500.
Additionally, we actually don't have studies that show treatments in
Celiac patients decrease the risk.  Also, there is data that once a
celiac begins a gluten free diet their bone mass improves just from
the diet treatment.  The present state of knowledge leads to
divergent recommendations on treatment of patients with low density
bone scans.

A practical issue is that a person just diagnosed with celiac should
not start taking a biphosphonate class of drug (like Fosamax or
Actonel) in the first several months after initial diagnosis of
celiac disease, since the poor intestinal absorption of calcium
coupled with the effects of the drug can cause the blood calcium
level to drop precipitously to dangerous levels, so low that seizures
or severe muscle spasms develop.

Mineral supplements are safe to take.  It is best to take them with
food for several reasons.  Calcium binds to oxalic acid, an organic
acid found in foods.  Binding oxalic acid in the gut prevents kidney
stones.  If you take other medicines, calcium can bind to some
drugs.  Taking calcium with meals simplifies your dosing regimen.
Minerals are also better tolerated on a full stomach.

While calcium seems to get the most press for osteoporosis, magnesium
is important in bone formation.  It is the second most important
mineral in bone.  Also, osteoporosis will not respond to treatment if
magnesium is inadequate.  Magnesium also helps with the constipation
often seen with calcium supplements.

The daily dose of Calcium is typically 1000 to 1500 mg of Calcium
Carbonate, and should be taken with meals.  Magnesium dosing is 250
to 500 mg of Magnesium Oxide, also with meals.  It is fine to take
the amount just once a day or divided among meals.

The bigger question is should you take the supplements.  I generally
advise my patients to take supplements if they have an abnormal bone
density.  I generally don't get a bone density up front at
diagnosis.  I also get my patients to a dietician to monitor adequacy
of diet at 6 months out.  I think a bone density after 1 year on a
gluten free diet is reasonable.  I also think that any other advice
is reasonable since there is such variation in study results.  I can
make very compelling arguments for all sorts of regimens.  Again,
this variety in advice is due to the lack of a good study that looks
at long term results of any regimen!

As to whether get a natural vitamin or a chemically manufactured one,
for most vitamins there is no difference between them.  Vitamin E is
one where the chirality of the molecule is specific in the body,
while Vitamin E made in a non-enzymatic fashion may not be chirally
pure.  (Chirality is the expression of the fact that while the left
and right hand are identical they do differ in a mirror image way.
Some molecules are like that.)  Thus, most of the vitamins that are
chemically manufactured are natural in all respects.

Stephen Holland, M.D.