From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:51:56 -0800

Amy Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm looking forward to trying Cathy's mix, as it seems to have a fiber
> source in it that I've never tried. I was a whole-grain junkie
> pre-diagnosis!

    I've also used rice bran and rice polish as part of Bette
Hagman's GF flour mix.  I will normally substitute the fiber source
for 1/8 to 1/4 of the rice flour in her mix.  I find it adds
a pleasant taste, but make sure that the bran, especially,
isn't too old.  I just smell the bran and taste a few crumbs
of it before using it to make sure it hasn't gotten rancid,
and I normally store it in the freezer.

    Another nice addition is apple fiber, a brown flour-like
substance.  I find that it gives a sweeter taste to baked
goods, to me most comparable to the taste of whole wheat flour
(at least what I remember that tasted like).  It's nice in
sweetened things like pancakes or muffins, but good in bread
too.  (For anyone in the Sacramento, California, area, I get
the apple fiber at Sunshine Natural Foods in Fair Oaks.  I
have no clue where else to find it, as this is the only place
I've seen it.)

    Flax seed meal, coarsely ground sesame seeds, and nut
meals of various sorts also add fiber and their own distinctive,
wonderful flavors.  Have fun playing with them :-)

                   Best wishes,

                   Kirsten Klinghammer