From:
"J.M. Donia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.M. Donia
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:49:50 -0400

First I apologize that I am so late with this summary of the many
celiac disease and osteoporosis. I am grateful for all very useful and
interesting advices I've got from you.
One listmate wrote that the poor absorption for celiacs included oil
soluble vitamins such as D and K. Both vitamins are very necessary for
calcium to be incorporated in bone. If you bruise easily, you are probably
short of vit. K.
A second advice was that Boron is supposed to be good for calcium
metabolism. In fact, she wrote, someone had such good results from Twin
Labs "Tri-Boron", that her doctor switched all his patients from Fosomax
to Boron. Personally I once read that boron is very important before
menopause. But after menopause it works lesser. That is why I don't know
if tri-boron is good for me because I am 63.
A third response was from a listmate who uses homeopathic cell salts. She
adviced me to see a naturopath or a homeopath, since the "osteo"
medications are "questionable". This listmate, referring to Susan Brown's
and dr. Susan Love's books on bones and menopause, concluded that "the
only thing that helps is weight-bearing".
Another listmate recommends Forteo injections, a "fairly new drug".This
has to be given by yourself in the abdomen daily. She wrote that Actonel
did not help. I will think about that ( Johanna Donia)
"Without enough vitamin D. the calcium cannot be stored in the bones",
wrote another listmate. According to her other important minerals are B12,
magnesium, vit.K, maganese, boron and calcium.
Someone else referred to the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About
Menopause" (John R. Lee). This listmate wrote that Progesterone helps
rebuilding bone; and Estrogen prevents bone loss. She also reffered to the
website knowthecause.com for more information. She concluded that immune
reactions and food allergies could possibly detoriate bone.