Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 14:12:23 PST

RE: Sinus infections/gluten intolerance

On June 23 Dwight wrote "If you have experience with these kinds of
problems, please write....."

Both my daughter (21) and I have CD diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago.  We
each had a long history of sinus and throat infections all thru
childhood and into adulthood.  I also had more classic CD symptoms;
as a child I was skinny, anemic, had "bellyaches" all the time.  It
seems I worried too much about my Dad's health and thus my own ill
health was attributed to "nerves."

My Dad--a short Irishman--was never well in his life.  Suffered
from vomiting, diarrhea, duodenal ulcers & fatigue, all of which
were also attributed to "nerves."

When my daughter came on the scene, she suffered from diarrhea &
spit up all the time as an infant until we removed milk and soy
from her diet.  She seemed to outgrow the milk intolerance but was
always under par, slept all the time, never had any energy & was
frequently cranky and irritable.  Not sick enough for any Dr.to
really take notice, but never well either.  Her first pediatrician,
when I nagged him about the frequent sinus and throat infections,
suggested there was something wrong with our marriage and perhaps
we should seek counseling for our daughter!  That was when I
changed doctors. In her early teens, my daughter's milk intolerance
resurfaced.  By this time I had been doing some research into food
allergies, and altho I had never heard of celiac disease, I asked
the new pediatrician if her frequent infections could have been due
to the milk intolerance.  His reply was to ask my daughter if I was
"from outer space."

When I became very ill in 1987 with weight loss, abdominal pain,
diarrhea and many other symptoms, it took me 5 years, 2 surgeries
and about a dozen doctors, not to mention thousands of dollars to
get properly diagnosed.  As a bonus, my daughter was diagnosed at
the same time.  She says now "I never felt good in my life but I
didn't know any better." We date events in our family as "before
diagnosis" and "after diagnosis" and can now joke about things that
happened in the old wheat-eating days!

Sheila Rudolph
San Diego, CA