From:
Amy Kravitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:07:59 EST

Hi to the Room,

   Approx. 24 hrs. ago I posted a query to the list concerning anyone who has
dealt with the CS/infertility diagnosis at the same time.

   First of all, I want to thank all of you who responded to me personally. I
must have received about 30+ personal messages to my inbox.  There seems to
be many nice, concerned, caring folks on this list.  I think Ill stay  ; )

   I did not receive as much concrete information as I would have liked from
the list concerning CD/IF. I mostly received a lot of well wishes and
messages of the like. A few folks who have been undiagnosed with CD at the
time have decided to do all sorts of family-building options, and some felt
that their IF/pregnancy loss issues was due to their lack of knowledge of CD
from the past.

   I did, however, receive a handful of tips from the list. The overlying
theme was to "adopt the GF as soon as possible." I just started to do that. I
have had one lady advise me to get my folic acid levels tested and perhaps to
do a bone density scan.  One kind R.D. advised me to get a biopsy of my
gut(endoscopy) and get a good multivitamin if I want to pursue the pregnancy
issue. One user suggested I visit with Dr. Peter Green in NY or with Dr.
Fasano in Md. to find out more about my  issues. Unfortunately, to the kind
person who gave me this suggestion, I wanted to thank you personally, but I
deleted your email my mistake. So I want to thank you here.

   Earlier today my spouse and I had our first consult with the Reproductive
Endocrinologist. He had our fertilty records from before(we had some basic
tests done over last summer), and I made an emphasis to mention to him my new
CD results. I also brought with me  my studies suggesting that Celiacs stay
on the GF diet in order to avoid miscarriage, infertility, underweight
babies, etc.

   I was surprised in the sense, that he didnt think the issue was as
critical as we had all thought. He felt that my preliminary fertility tests
were ok, and since I have been asymptomatic, that things should be fine. He
felt we had other more pressing issues as to why we need reproductive help.

   He mentioned that he had other patients with the Celiac condition, and all
were on the GF diet, and that he had some familiarity with it. He felt that
the major issue that one can run into immunology-wise, is if a partner is
allergic to the other's sperm(histocompatibility issue). In most cases, I
think this could be achieved with a sperm wash and an insemination procedure.

   The one thing we both agreed upon, however, is to go on the GF diet to
play it safe. I have resigned myself to doing this for the future health of
my child, and for myself.

   Once again thanks to the list. I appreciate all the help and kindness
during a tense, unsettling time in my life.

   Amy Kravitz [log in to unmask]