From:
Ann Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:13:53 -0500

Here is a sample letter that you can use to address support for
wheat protein research.

Ann

I am writing to you in the hope that you will oppose proposed cuts of
about $5 million in the budget of the US Department of Agriculture's
Agricultural Research Service (ARS) at the Western Regional Research
Center in Albany, California. The cuts are scheduled to go into effect
for the coming fiscal year, beginning October 1, 2002.

Since I have celiac disease and must maintain a wheat-, rye- and
barley-free diet, I am especially concerned about cuts of approximately
$1 million to the wheat protein research project there. This program has
provided celiacs like me with valuable information about the nature of
the protein and peptide components in wheat that trigger celiac disease.
This information helps us choose a safe diet.

The complex makeup of many commercial processed foods makes it very
difficult for nonscientists like myself to understand what must be
avoided and what is safe. The research and advice that we get from this
unique wheat research project has been enormously helpful to a
generation of celiacs.

If it is terminated, we will no longer have access to a body of
information that has developed over a period of more than 20 years.
Termination of the project will also limit the potential for development
of new research into continuing food questions and the nature of the
molecular basis for celiac disease.

Recent research has shown that celiac disease may affect as many as one
in a few hundred Americans rather than one in a few thousand as formerly
believed. If that is correct, upwards of one million Americans may be
affected, making this research even more vital.

Specialized research like that carried out at the USDA/ARS Western
Regional Research Center has been minimal elsewhere in the United
States. Please don't make things even more difficult for those of us
with celiac disease. I urge you to oppose the cuts for the reasons I
have outlined. Thank you.