From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:29:44 -0700

Thanks for all the people who responded by telling me that there have been
numerous studies done through the years linking these two conditions.  Of
course, I knew about all those.  My frustration is that the link between
gluten and mental disease is not recognized by conventional medicine.  In
fact, conventional medicine, as an industry, still redicules patients &
doctors who dare even suggest it.

Most of the responses I received were from people who have been personally
touched by loved ones with mental illness.  Many of the stories are heart
rending.  It hurts deeply to think of anyone suffering from mental illness,
but it makes many of us just plain ANGRY when we can't do anything about it
becasue of either doctor's or family's resistance to the concept a gluten
induced mental disorder.  some of the stories are like mine, success stories
where the GF diet reduced or eliminated symptoms.  I won't repeat all the
stories in my summary.  Instead I will select a few that are representative.

I will make brief mention of some of the references I received linking
gluten & mental illness.  I will also include some of the dialogue that
occured between myself & respondants.  My summary is not organized into any
particular order.  It's random, like me!  ha ha ha!  [My comments in
brackerts.]
--------------------------------
[re: . . . I shudder to think of what may have become of our son had we not
learned about celiac disease.]

I'm sure mine would have become a gang terrorist...He's very smart and
gluten caused him to have a reckless regard for his own safety.  "Don't play
in the street" became "Why not? Watch me!"

Thankfully, he was put on the diet at age 3 because of my diagnosis so we
missed many of the symptoms.  He's turned out to be a great young adult!
Bev
----------------------------------
The neurologists at the Columbia Univ. Celiac Center Patient Ed Day in
2003&2004 said they have even brought people out of coma by going gf.  My
husband got rid of numbness and tingling in his legs.  I got rid of
arthritic/fibromyalgia type stuff.

You are probably aware that Feingold's diet for ADD/ADHD says if the
elimination of food additives and colors does not do it, to go on a gf diet.
  Many autistics use gf diets.
----------------------------------
My 50+-year old brother has had schizophrenia since his teens, and I was
diagnosed in 1996 at age 57 with gluten intolerance. In my twenties I was
diagnosed with depression and suspected of schizophrenia myself, as my
daughter has more recently been suspected of schizophrenia and treated for
depression. One psychiatrist in the 60s said he would have hospitalized me
in my teens. (He didn't say what his diagnosis would be.)

Nothing I say has changed my brother's treatment, but his current medication
on experimental drugs has helped some and he is working part-time. . .  I
know that when I start to feel that people hate me and I develop other
illusory problems, that I always show other signs of gluten poisoning,
including digestive upsets, skin disorders, etc. . . . Needless to say, I
feel that there is a strong connection between CD and schizophrenia, but
doctors cannot be rushed to their conclusions. I hope they tumble to the
connection soon!   B.
--------------------------
I have believed for many years about the connection between CD &
Schizophrenia.  My brother was schizophrenic.  My mother and I were
diagnosed late with celiac.  I never had the chance to have my brother try
the celiac diet but I do believe he would have done well.  All the studies
in the world would not have convinced me otherwise and now your letter
proofs it. I hope he continues to enjoy good health. Ginny Mingolla
----------------------------
I was diagnosed [CD] less than three years ago.  Immediately, I felt sure my
grandson had the disease.  He was 11 at the time.  I call and told his
mother (my ex-daughter-in-law). She refused to have him tested.  He has
struggled with school from the very beginning.  At times his behavior was so
bad that he threw chairs across the room in class and often fought with
other kids.  He just seemed to be perpetually angry.  He has above average
verbal skills, but was unable to learn.  He has been in special classes
since first grade.

He failed school last year.  He just gave up.  I was so very concerned about
him.  I approached his father (after much prayer and talking to other family
members for support) and begged to have him come live with me.  Thankfully,
about 6 weeks later, my son drove over and just picked him up
after school.  He then called the mother and told her he had him.  She was
fine with that.  So my son then informed her that he wanted to live with me
(900 miles away) and that she wouldn't have to pay any child support.  She
cooperated.

The first thing I did was have him tested with enterolab.  Two weeks later
the results confirmed my suspicions.  The boy is 5'10 1/2" tall and weighs
only 116 lbs.  He bangs his head against the walls and doors, has nervous
tics, headaches and mild seizures.  His joints hurt.  He can't remember
from day to day where the cereal or bowls are kept.  I was even thinking he
might have Asbergers.
Your story gives me so much hope for this child.  Already, he smiles more
and jokes.  He got his first report card and recieved 3 Cs and 2 Bs.  He was
so proud.  He said, "Grandma, I think not eating wheat is making me
smarter".  His first two weeks in school in Florida, he had gotten nothing
but Fs.  I took him to the Dr. because of the headaches and seizures
(sensory type-he smells unpleasant odors that aren't there).  I feared he
may also have a brain tumor.  She said to wait and see if these things don't
go away with the GF diet.  He has already gained 5 1/2 lbs. in 5
weeks.

Thank you for sharing your son's story.  I am so very, very grateful that I
have this opportunity to give my grandson a chance in life.  I am also
grateful to enterolabs for offering an affordable test that catches the
cases that blood testing miss.  Sue