From:
CJLydick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 11:36:07 -0400

Because this is such an important topic, I want to add a little scenario to
the list from my experience.  When one grandchild gets a gluten hit, he gets
ear and throat infections, cannot concentrate and is somewhat antisocial
when he does not feel well.  Since my daughter worked in the school and
brought him lunch, she did not feel it was necessary to do a 504 for him.
He started getting sick often, his grades dropped and he was generally
miserable.  My daughter wanted to test him for more food allergies, because
she thought she was keeping a strict gluten free regime.  The teacher was
very annoyed with my grandchild for his poor attendance, which was ironic.
When out shopping with my grandson, he asked to buy some Twizzlers.  My
daughter told him no, that they were not gluten free.  He then told her that
his teacher said that they were all right for him to eat, (he had not seen
the packaging) and gave them to him for treats.  This effected his whole
school year.
This is an example of what can happen to celiac children when the school
does not have training to cope with the problem.  It does effect the
children’s education.  Many parents are intimidated by the school officials
and they don’t know their rights.  I believe for the sake of caution, every
celiac child should have a 504, until celiac becomes more understood.
I too, am a teacher.  Throughout my career teaching emotionally disturbed
teenagers, I saw so many problems that could well have been gluten related.
I attempted to bring it to the child study team and the other administrators
of the program.  Of course it fell on deaf ears.
As a child, I was learning disabled and thought to be somewhat retarded.
Two of my daughters were also learning disabled, one not learning to read
until 10th grade, and then barely.  This daughter was able to graduate Magna
Cum Laude, from the College of NJ.  All of us, after going gluten free
tested high IQ.  (Forgive me if this sounds bold, but I use this example
only to say that so many celiac children are misunderstood). As a child this
daughter went through so much, and still carries the scars of rejection and
scorn she suffered in her childhood.
Even small hits of gluten can cause disastrous results in children and their
education.  Another friend had an autistic child who had a complete
turnaround after going gluten free.  My nephew, who tested very high on Dr.
Fine’s scale is under psychiatric care for his bad behavior (he is 8 years
old) and has no friends, but his mother does not believe in celiac or gluten
intolerance.  It is too inconvenient.  These are just some examples of how
celiac can limit a child.  If the school does not understand, the child
might never reach the potential they should have achieved.
Blessing, Carol in NJ