From:
Perrianne Lurie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:22:55 -0400

Everyone who has the Stokes publication seems very pleased with it.  I also
learned that the CSA-USA DOES have a gluten free medication list, although
it is not as extensive (nor, I suspect, updated as frequently) as the Stokes
guide.  It is, however, cheaper.

I got six replies about the Stokes Pharmacy's "Celiac Sprue: A Guide Through
the Medicine Cabinet", all very positive:

>It's very good.  Every celiac should have a copy.

>I received my copy of the Stokes list last week, and I think it is a must
>for people with CD.  Not only does it list over the counter medicines but it
>also lists medicines that are gotten by prescription.  It lists not only the
>presence of gluten but also of lactose.  More importantly, it lists the
>phone numbers of all of the makers of the products so that we can check from
>time to time about any product, since the product suppliers change and what
>is GF today might not be GF tomorrow.  For my money, this publication is
>well worth the cost.

>This publication is probably the most comprehensive compilation of
>prescription and over-the-counter medications the celiac community has
>available to it.
>
>Bill Milazzo, President of Stokes Pharmacy has made this publication
>available at what it costs them to produce it. It is continually being
>updated, due to the CONSTANT changes in formulation of products.
>
>I would strongly recommend this for those with the interest in such a
>publication.

> just ordered two copies yesterday, one for me and one for our San Diego
>support group library.  The lady told me that they just revised it two weeks
>ago.  I should receive it next week.  I will let you know what I think.
>
>My hmo pharmicist is going two order some copies too.  During the week there
>seems not to be a problem calling manfacturers.  My suggestion is to have the
>guide at the  24-hour pharmacy on the week-ends.  That's seems to be the
hardest
>time to get ahold of anyone and trying to get the pharmacist to make sure it's
>gf.

>Have recently received it...it seems pretty complete. The booklet is
>subdivided into:
>About Celiac Sprue
>Over the counter drugs - Gluten free
>Over the counter drugs - Gluten and Lactose free
>20 pages of Prescription Drugs and their GF status, Lactose status, corn
content
>Basic info from Manufacturers regarding the ingredients in their product lines
>Directory of Manufacturers' addresses and phone numbers
>
>It seems to be a valuable resource to me.  Hope this helps you out!

>I have the list and think that it's quite good.

And these two messages about the CSA-USA Drug Information Guide:

>CSA/USA does have a drug list. It's not as extensive as the one you
>mentioned (I suppose...I have not seen the pharmacy one!) but it is
>helpful.

>CSA/USA puts out a Drug Information Guide and lists many products that have
>been tested with the antigliadin test with their results.  I was shocked to
>find that Advil tested positive, so I have now switched to Aleve.  I believe
>their was a small charge for this guide so you could check on it.

On the basis of these recommendations, I've ordered the Stokes guide.

BTW, another source of telephone numbers for pharmaceutical firms is the
PHYSICIANS DESK REFERENCE (PDR), which is available at most libraries and
bookstores.  The PDR also lists all the ingredients for every prescription
drug licensed in the USA, and there's a separate PDR for over the counter
drugs with similar information.  It's written for physicians, so there's a
lot in it that's highly technical, and all the information is provided by
the drug companies.  It includes the full text of all the product inserts
that are supposed to be provided with the medications (both for physicians
and for patients).

                -Perrianne Lurie
                 Annapolis, MD, USA