From:
Glenda Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenda Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:37:03 -0400

Some folks mentioned they had not recieved this third summary page. My apologies if you have received it twice.

  An added note ***
 I was asked numerous times by folks on this listserve how I could have gotten something that was on the GF menu and have it come to me not GF. After a post that I read today, it all makes more sense to me.  Do most of you realize that the items on the GF Menu are not exclusive to the GF menu?  The very same dishes are available on both the regular and on the GF menus. What Outback has done is to take their standard menu and identify what was naturally GF or could be made to be GF for us to easily choose from.  I just called our local restaurant to confirm this.  That is why I knew that someone else in the restaurant had received my GF meal and I had received theirs.  The manager I spoke to tonight said that when they prepare the pork chops or the steak, or the chicken on our GF menu it should be prepared with NO SPICES.  It's generally prepared in it's own natural juices.  My husband and I could both order the same dinner from two different menus, one being GF and one not.  If the wait staff pulls the wrong order from the prep window or the kitchen forgets, we could very easily get the wrong meal. The dishes would definitely look different from one another, primarily the color.

The manager I spoke to tonight was very helpful and he stated that even if we order from the GF menu, we should say to the staff "NO SPICES" just to be safe.  Interestingly, he mentioned to me that they had had an incipient there just last week where an individual (a man) ordered from the GF menu but didn't point it out to the server.  He was served the pork chops from the regular menu because he assumed that everything on the GF menu was exclusively GF.

I hope this helps.

Here's the rest of my summary:

I had aproblem in Toledo my salad had croutons I e mailed outback =
directly I will still eat there but we have to be very careful
____________________________________

Yes, they do all of us a serviced--providing GF food. I had only gone to =
the=20
restaurant once prior to being diagnosed. Now, I go all the time.=20

Hope it is a better experience the next time you go.
____________________________________

They definitely should have given you a free meal. Especially since they =
are known for their gluten-free meals!  But I guess you have to remember =
where you are eating, you can't expect Leaguer's type service at the =
outback!  We have to expect mistakes once and a while but, I still can't =
believe they didn't give you any type of compensation!  You should write =
to the outback (I'm sure they have some kind of main office) and =
complain.  It's not about the money, but it's just the point.  I'll =
remember to be prepared when I go to the Outback (which I have not yet =
been to- maybe it's not worth it).
____________________________________

I'm very curious.  What meal did you order (that was more juicy)?  I'm
assuming it was a steak.  If so, what was on it that contained gluten.  =
eat at Outback at least twice each month.  Can't wait to hear from you
____________________________________

Can you share what food you ordered that they made GF but was like =
someone
else's whose wasn't?  I just want to be more aware.  Thanks a bunch.  -
____________________________________

I read your story with interest.   Did you order a steak, which it =
appears seems like it?   I go to the Outback a lot, too, and it makes me =
wonder if I forgot to say something to them.  I always tell them to cook =
my steak plain.  Is that what you told them?   Of course, I say bacon =
wrapped is okay due to Bob Levy stating he didn't worry about bacon.   =20

You just have me wondering if I am doing the right thing.  I obviously =
don't react much.  I have been celiac for about 2.5 years and last year =
my blood work was great.  This year I am in the critical range and don't =
know why.   So it has been guesswork and you got me wondering. =20
_____________________________________

Maybe if you call, and talk to a manager they will offer you a gift
certificate for your return? I have received 2. My daughter has CD and =
her
ribs came with applesauce and her salad had crouton crumbs on it and she =
did
feel ill after she ate it (the salad, not the apples).  I mentioned it =
the manager and they did give us a GC for a free dinner ($20 value) so =
we
would return.  Another time, long ago, I ate pork chops and I got so =
sick
that night and into the next day. My sister is in food service and said =
should call and tell them, just in case. Not sure if it was a =
coincidence
and just the flu, or if it was the food but they did send mail me a GC =
and
they did tell me they had no other complaints about people getting ill =
after
eating there that day.
______________________________________

The same exact thing happened to me in North Carolina.I was sick a =
couple of days.I think .Outback really tries though and I continue to =
eat there. Out of 40 times I have gotten sick twice
______________________________________

I'm curious, what did u order that could be made g/f and u noticed the =
difference in the taste???  I eat there all the time and usually don't =
mention the g/f status but only order from the noted g/f items.  Good =
Luck in the future!!!
______________________________________

Have you had a chance to leave feedback with the location and staff =
members
names at the Outback site? It does make a difference.
I've eaten at Outback many times and most with no substantial problems.  =
The
sticking point always seems to be the croutons on the salad.  About 90% =
of
the time, I have to send the salad back because they've picked the =
croutons
off (leaving crumbs) rather than making a fresh salad from scratch.  =
I'll
continue to eat there, but I won't bother with the salad.