From:
"Ron B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 13:21:22 -0800

Hi,

I had one biopsy after a two week gluten challenge. I was gf for a few
months, and feeling great before the challenge. (I know that two weeks is
not long enough for a challenge) I have since been eating gluten for three
months and am having another biopsy this week by a very qualified GI at the
University of British Columbia. He mentioned something about the first
biopsy results not going deep enough.

I got a copy of my medical records from the first biopsy outlining the
procedure that was performed, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me
if it was done correctly, or enlighten me in some way.

Operation report:
Upper G.I. endoscopy, small intestinal gastric biopsy.

Procedure:
The Olympus video gastroscope was easily introduced in the esophagus under
direct visualization. The gastric mucosa showed some moderately intense
erythema with no associated erosions, mass lesions or ulcers in the distal
half of the gastric mucosa. The endoscope was advanced through the doudenum
down to the second part. The duodenal folds appeared to be of normal height
with no obvious fold thickening. Multiple duodenal biopsies and gastric
biopsies were taken and the endoscope withdrawn.

Microscopics:
Duodenal biopsies are of good size. Focally they contain Brunner's glands.
Overlying the Brunner's glands as expected, the mucosa is mildly flattened.
Elsewhere the duodenal mucosa is normal with an appropriate villous height
to crypt ratio and no distortion or abnormality of the surface epithelium
or brush border. The cell proportion of lamina propria is normal and there
is no increase in lymphocytes found within the superficial epithelium. No
parasites are seen. This appearance is within normal limits.

The stomach biopsies are antral mucosal biopsies which are architectually
normal, are not inflamed and do not contain any identified bacteria,
parasites or neoplasia.

Well - any comments as to what it all means? Could they have done the
procedure differently, or gone lower?

Please respond to me and not the list. Any info greatly appreciated.

Ron (Vancouver, Canada)