From:
Margaret Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:21:47 -0700

After being GF to the best of my ability for 5 months I recently
underwent, at the direction of my gastroenterologist, a one week gluten
challenge at the end of which the small bowel biopsy was performed and
blood was drawn for antibody testing. I previously tested negative for
the antibodies, but that was after being GF for one month.

Test results:

Biopsy: Normal, no signs of inflammation (took tissue from 3 locations)
Anti-Endomysial: Negative
Anti-Gliaden: 14.4 (normal range is from 0 to 7)
Anti-Reticulin: Titer was 1:80 (in 'normal' people I understand it
should be zero (negative))

The doctor is rather confident that I don't have Celiac Sprue, but what
exactly these results indicate is uncertain, except that I will remain
on a gluten free diet so I can be a productive member of society. My
intestinal symptoms of gas and diarrhea kicked in within 3 days of
beginning the challenge, and my fatigue and lethargy weren't far behind.
With the tiredness comes a drop in my resting pulse and blood pressure
and nearly constant dizzyness. I did not monitor body temperature. It's
been a week and a half since I resumed my GF diet and I am recovering
with the same gradual speed as I have in the past. I expect to feel
relatively normal in about another 1 1/2 weeks.

Has anyone experienced odd results such as these and how was that
interpreted? Thanks for you input!

--
Margaret Pratt                E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Toxicology Program            http://www.orst.edu/~prattm/