From:
Joe Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:35:05 -0500

Just a quick reminder--just because a particular doctor doesn't take
your (or any) insurance doesn't necessarily mean you can't get some
reimbursement for the visit. Unless you are covered by an HMO that
restricts coverage to doctors in your particular group, in which case
there's little point to submitting claims for visits to other
doctors, there is always some way to submit bills for coverage after
the fact. It may be a nuisance, and your reimbursement may not be as
high as the amount covered for an "in network" doctor, but there _is_
generally coverage. The doctor has nothing to do with handling or
approving the insurance reimbursement if you have paid for the visit
out-of-pocket. As an example, I'm covered by Blue Cross/Blue Shield
of Illinois. I see one doctor who is not set up to submit claims to
my insurer. I pay her at the time of service, and then submit my
receipt with this form
<http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/plans/health/pdf/bchealth.pdf>
to the insurer. About two weeks later, they send me a check for the
amount stipulated in my coverage (in this case, 50% of the defined
coverage for the services provided). It's no more difficult than
submitting receipts for reimbursement from a flexible spending account.

Joe Ellison
Chicago, IL

Do not let the merely urgent interfere with the truly important

*******
*******