From:
Timothy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 19:15:30 +0100

> Date:    Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:02:25 -0400
> From:    Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Public Response to "Where is this allergy going?"
>
> <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>
>
> On 06/14/98    at 11:33 AM, "L.Shriver" <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
> >> Some people are
> >>sensitive to the gluten in shampoos and conditioners. I myself react to
> >>the wheat fields in my neighborhood, when they are being harvested.
>
> Yes, some react to gluten(or wheat)  via skin and nasal contact, whatever
> the nature of their celiac status. But, except for those with DH, why
> should these reactions be called celiac?
>
> Aren't these instead allergic reactions of whatever type? By allergic, I
> mean any of the  "hypersensitivity reactions", not just  Type I with IgE
> that's mostly in skin, nose, or lungs.

The UK Coeliac Society once told me there should be no problem with gluten
in shampoo etc. (But as you point out reactions are possible to other
ingredients.)

As for wheat fields being harvested, if there is gluten containing material
in the air, then it could cause a coeliac reaction. Dust in the lungs is
trapped in mucus that is then swept up to the throat for disposal. (Where it
enters the digestive system of course.) For this reason I don't go into old
fashioned mills demonstrating how flour used to be ground.

   Tim

--
Tim Partridge.
Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer