From:
norbert1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:46:10 -0600

Dear Listmates:

I received great info and caring replies from several people.  I will gladly
send the details to anyone who wants to e-mail me privately [log in to unmask]

While I was still trying to "wiggle out" of the surgical implant for
magnesium infusions, my magnesium level sunk to 1.1; a dangerously low level.
My ER doctor said that the implant was imperative, so I complied.

I had the surgery on Thursday and now have two quarter size bumps under my
skin by my left clavicle.  I am hoping part of it is the swelling.  They
infused Mg before and during the surgery, so I now have some energy.  My
doctor has cautioned me that I will have to be carefully monitored, because
of the possibility of heart attack or stroke when the mg gets too low.  I
guess at this point I am grateful there is a way of getting the Mg in when
the oral supplementation fails, but also (selfishly I guess) concerned about
traveling too far away.  Hopefully, the levels will get under control and my
restrictions will be lifted.

Please make sure your Dr.  checks for Magnesium when he checks for calcium.
The two need to be in balance and Mg.  is often overlooked even though it is
one of the primary minerals celiacs have trouble absorbing.

Thanks again for the caring and sharing.

Rose Mary