From:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:12:12 -0700

Greetings, group!

  First of all, I'd like to say "thank you" to everyone who has responded thus far about my GF options/questions, etc.  I will summarize after I think everyone has responded (and it's been huge).

  Anyway, a Starbucks just opened in December here in Casper (we FINALLY got one) and I have had some beverages there, but never knew what was really safe except for the obvious.  I inquired about an ingredient listing to the cashiers, but they were clueless and said they didn't have one.

  I read the archives on this group and found several different Starbucks postings, but nothing seemed totally comprehensive.  One time people said everything was okay then the next, carmel was not GF, etc.

  So, I called Starbucks yesterday to get their word on their GF offerings.  Here's what the gentleman told me:

  On Blended Drinks, the Java Chips, Vanilla Bean Powder, & Malt Powder all contain gluten.  The Malt Powder is added only on request (to make drinks thicker like shakes/malts).  In the holiday season, avoid the Eggnog drinks.  He said the carmel and syrups are okay, as well as everything else.  He was very nice and seemed knowledgeable enough.  He must've had a listing of safe/non-safe in front of him.  Perhaps people have been calling left and right.  He said to always call corporate if questions, because the stores aren't always accurate.  I called 1-800-23LATTE, if you would like to call.  I encourage everyone to call, if you're a Starbucks fanatic like I am (having one now in Casper is like having the world - LOL).  The more callers, the better off we are in getting our voices heard.

  This explains why I had a bunch of canker sores awhile back, after trying a Vanilla Bean Frappuccino.  No wonder they taste so good!

  I would recommend, however, for the workers to clean out the Frappuccino blenders/cups/etc. because if they used a gluten flavor ahead of you, it's more than likely contaminated.  Here in Casper, they rinse them out, but don't use soap, that I have noticed.  Also, when I asked about the regular Chocolate Chip flavor at the store, the girl went back and grabbed a bag of chocolate chips - wheat flour was an ingredient.  I don't know about you all, but the chocolate chips I buy at Wal-Mart do not contain gluten - why do the Starbucks ones have to?  My husband said that flavor is delicious.

  Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know about the Starbucks update and happy coffee drinking!

  Kelli
  Casper, WY

      "...He just takes the tractor another round...And pulls the plow across the ground...And sends up another prayer...He says Lord I never complain I never ask why...But please don't let my dream run dry...Underneath, Underneath this...Amarillo sky..."
  -Jason Aldean "Amarillo Sky"