From:
Rima Parkhurst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:21:12 -0500

Dear Michel & Britt
        We have had good luck using quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wa) instead of
cous cous.  It is a GF grain related to amaranth I think and the grains are
very small and spherical like cous cous.  Cook it like rice, 1C quinoa : 2C
water.  Once it is cooked, treat it like cous cous.  It has a very nice
flavor and is quite light, not heavy like most cooked grains.  A health food
store here makes a nice salad with it:  To the cooked, cooled quinoa add
chopped apricot, chopped scallions or green onion, pistachio nuts and
chopped yellow bell peppers (all vegetables chopped quite small).  You can
serve it like this or make a light dressing with orange juice, oil and
vinegar.  I hope you can get quinoa there,  good luck!  Brooke McLoughlin