From:
Brian Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 14:34:42 -0700

Hi listmembers

a few days ago I asked whether there might be a connection between
gluten-intolerance and Alzheimer's Dementia, and Don Wiss referred me to an
earlier discussion of the topic in 1995 and these references:  Chris M.
Reading in _Your Family Tree Connection_ [Keats Publishing] "the presence
of Alzheimer's disease, and strokes, in a family is a red flag for gluten
intolerance."  and Beversdorf et.  al.  "A man with weight loss, ataxia,
and confusion for 3 months."  _ Lancet_ 1996; 347:  446.

From the few responses I received it is clear that Alzheimer's occurs in
families with Celiac Disease, and abdominal problems (possibly undiagnosed
celiacs) but no-one seems to be aware of any current research into the
connection.  Someone pointed out there has been some research into the link
between Autism and Alzheimer's, and we are aware that there is a connection
between Autism and gluten-intolerance.  It seems to me that the folks who
are researching into the causes of Alzheimer's might consider looking at
gluten-intolerance as an underlying cause for the condition.

Valerie, California