Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2016 14:52:18 -0400

We are back from a trip to London. Thank you to everyone who provided
information, summarized below. As many of the people who replied indicated,
it really was easier than in the US, particularly after we found a
knowledgeable restaurant in our neighborhood http://www.mildreds.co.uk/

This was a trip with not much time for planning ahead, so I did not avail
myself of all the resources suggested.

I was delighted to get a specific brand name for yogurt, so I could pop
into almost any food store when I was hungry and get something I could
safely eat.

I also enjoyed the availability of GF wrap sandwiches at Marks and Spencer.

I am not very tech friendly, so did not use the eBook listed below, but it
sounds as if it would be a valuable resource, as would the various UK
organizations.

Unfortunately, I was good and glutened around the last day there, so I have
been dragging for a bit, hence the delay.

Thank you so very much, one and all.

Amy

                          ====Summary  GF in London ============

*One person says she signs up with the British celiac group prior to her
trips as they provide excellent information and resources.. That makes GF
there simpler than in US

*Try Marks and Spencer groceries.  They clearly label all allergens
contained in food in the UK.

*so easy to eat safely there!
Labeling laws & restaurant menu requirements make it much easier to safely
eat there than here!
Started by going to Whole Foods and went on from there.

*you won’t have any problems. I just got back from England and all the food
is clearly marked in the grocery stores so you can always see what it
contains

*Issi at Gluten Free in London [[log in to unmask]] got great
info from Issi's blog and emailed her with a question before we went to
London this spring.  She is a great resource

*helpful e-book I wrote on the subject of Gluten-Free in LONDON:
http://amzn.to/1xv65qh

It’s only $9.99 and can be read on any computer, e-reader, tablet, or
smartphone using the free Kindle app which is downloadable to any device.

It contains hundreds of GF-freindly dining recommendations, reviews, maps,
and general GF travel and $$ saving advice. Well worth the purchase, if I
do say so myself! You can even use it as a day-by-day itinerary as some
people have, since each chapter covers several tourist sites — with
numerous recommendations for safe GF dining near each.

*You'll have no problem finding GF food in any supermarket. There is an
abundance. The food is well marked. Often it will say "suitable for
celiacs." Yeo Valley yogurt is good. If I remember, the Heinz vegetarian
beans are just fine. You'll have lots of choices.

You can go into Boots (pharmacy), and they have yogurt plus other GF snacksIf
you are in downtown London, the classic supermarkets won't be there. They
will be in the areas with housing. But people live in downtown London.

As you may know, the large department stores have food courts, generally on
the lower level. Marks and Spenser has food, but they are mostly all
private labeled. There's is well marked. They have a gluten-free section,
but it will be small and have just baked things. The rest of the store has
products that you can eat. The frozen section will have prepared meals, and
those are likely to be marked if there are questions. Selfridges and
Harrods will have food courts, but since we are not often in downtown
London shopping, I can't give you an opinion there

*I would suggest that you join the UK Coeliac Society   www.coeliac.org.uk
Join them you can do it online. I travel to England about every 18 months
and I always join them before I go.
They are great they will send you a Food and Drink Directory, but most
importantly they have a website that as a member you can access.  They will
have listings of places you can buy food (grocery stores; MS, Marks and
Spenser markets) bakeries, restaurants and they will have
recommendations from members about places to go and eat. It goes region by
region so wherever you are traveling you can get recommendations. They have
maps.  They also have a phone number where you can call and web addresses
so if you need some fast info you can contact them.

I consider the membership fee as supporting a great organization.  As a
Celiac I find it very comforting that I have a reliable resource I can
count on.  I have used them for my last four trips to the UK; they have
never led me astray. Just as important I feel I can find nice places to eat
and not have to eat just salads.

Also just a FYI the train stations Paddington and St. Pancreas, probably
the larger ones will have MS stores where you can buy GF sandwiches.  The
Celiac society in UK will tell you what restaurants in the train stations
will have GF food.  The Brits are far ahead of us in providing GF food and
I found that most restaurants, museums etc know what is GF and what is not.

Also the grocery stores Sainburys and Tescos, the large super stores have
"free from" sections that have all gf foods.  I really like the GF scones
:)  I usually buy peanut butter and jam and GF bread (pita bread at
Sainburys) for lunches.

Yogurts Easiyo: vanilla, There are lots of brands and too many to list.
Heinz baked beans in 150g and 415 gr sizes.

Be sure to check the labels in UK some things use barley malt vinegar.