From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:08:06 -0500

Graham Crackers

1/2 c teff flour (dark or ivory)

1/2 c sorghum flour

1/2 c tapioca flour

1/2 c cornstarch

1/2 c almond or pecan meal

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) butter or marg.

1/4 c. honey

1 c. brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1-2 Tbsp. water if needed

Preheat oven to 325. Grease two 12" x 15 1/2" baking sheets. In a medium bowl, whisk together the teff, sorghum, tapioca and cornstarch flours, almond meal, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. In the bowl of your mixer, beat together the butter, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients .. This should form a soft dough ball that will handle easily. (You probably will not need the water, but add if necessary. I've made them many times and have not added any water.) Divide the dough into 2 balls. Place each ball on a cookie sheet and over with plastic wrap; roll it out until it covers the sheet and is about 1/8 inch thick, like pastry dough. Cut with a pastry wheel into 3" squares. Prick each square with a fork 5 times. Bake for about 25 min. doing one pan at a time.

Makes about 5 dozen crackers. Even though you cut these before you bake them they bake together so I use a knife and cut again as soon as I take them out of the oven. Try to use two identical cookie sheet or jelly roll pans, or bake them one at a time - I found that my dark colored pan cooked it too fast.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My wife used our favorite GF mix and made these:

Mock Graham crackers

3 c. Gifts of Nature flour

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1 ½ tsp. salt

1 rounded tsp. cinnamon

2 ½ tsp. baking powder

¾ c. margarine

¼ c. honey

1 c. brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

¼ c. water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together dry ingredients, set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat margarine, honey, brown sugar and vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with the water. Roll out on counter top. Cut with cutters or into squares with a pastry cutter. If making large shapes or squares, poke each with a fork. Bake squares for 30 minutes or small shapes for 11 minutes. Makes 5 dz. Large squares or 250+ animal crackers. Frost with powdered sugar glaze and sprinkles if desired. These keep well in the freezer or cupboard up to a month.

The result was more like a cinnamon-honey cookie, but it tasted very good. It could pass for a graham cracker. Hallie said that they did not really roll-out so she rolled balls of dough, placed them on parchment paper and smashed them to a bit over 1/4 thick with a drinking glass dipped in sugar.

I would have liked them a little less short and a little sweeter. But that is a matter of personal preference.

We'd certainly make them again, and they would make a great crust for a cheese cake.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gluten-Free Ungraham Crackers
Try these great after school treat or make old fashioned Somores with these crackers. The mesquite in the mixture gives the crackers the graham like taste and texture.

1 cup Ruby Range Baking Mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400
Roll out to 1/4 inch thick, cut in squares and mark with a fork to look like commercial graham crackers
Bake for 20 min or until slightly brown

I strongly recommend following Jules Shepherd's recipe, which can be found
in her book, Nearly Normal Cooking for Gluten-Free Eating.  My son, 3-1/2,
has Celiac Disease, and we often make the graham crackers - they're
delicious!  We make a huge batch, keep some out, and freeze the rest.  Jules
has a GF flour concoction in her cookbook, which serves as the basis for
this recipe among MANY other delicious recipes.  I've included her website
here if you're interested:
http://www.nearlynormalcooking.com/httpdocs/index.htm

Disclaimer ---  I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.